• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 7021
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
But back to the point: FF5

I am auditioning the FF5 and MERCY, I don't need it to break in, IF that only means playing louder, WOW!!!!! At 10 o'clock my wife seriously thinks we are gonna crack walls, bring the house down. Had to turn that bad boy right down.
I am connected to the FF5 with a balanced, XLR cable run under the floor and then had to use an adapter back to RCA to hook up the FF5. My distributor, the most helpful guy ever, sent an impedance correcting adapter too, but that made a hum.
I am still experimenting, and perhaps I am doing something wrong.
I had my Marantz AV7005 set initially for LFE+MAIN. That lets low freqs from all speakers, including the front T2s (even though set to LARGE) go to the sub. The FF5 messed up the sound of the bass from the T2s pretty badly, rather tubby, overdone, not as tight and musical sounding as the T2s. I probably was playing it too loudly.
Then I set the AV7005 to LFE only, which plays low freqs only from speakers set to SMALL, I think. Which I guess would work for movies, but does not help me on low organ notes, which I was wanting.
And I may need some room correction, I am not using any yet. I would run Audyssey IF it would only handle the low freq anomalies.
IF I do have a bass node that needs correcting, how would I do that without Audyssey?
Will try different combinations and try different volume levels on the FF5 too.
We have massive, room shaking explosions down fine, now need to refine things.
Any suggestions appreciated.
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3338
Moderator Posted 6 years 8 months ago
Hi Wayne - I moved this here...

First off, the sub input is quite sensitive, my FF5 subs have the gain set at about 8:30 with front channels at 0dB. So no surprise that was too loud. If you have a single ended sub-out on your receiver/processor, I'd convert that sub cable to single ended.

LFE+Main is a no-no (says so in the manual even, not that anyone reads that). You cannot use the sub as anything other than LFE-only in a typical Triton Two multi-channel setup. If you want to enhance the dynamic range and extension of the Triton Two for music playback, then you can easily do so by setting the crossover in the 40-80Hz range (speaker now set to Small) and adding the sub. This will not work for anything other than stereo playback. Some of the high-end processors allow for multiple settings so you can configure 2ch music playback differently than multi-channel movie playback... ideal for the type of application you are describing.

Regarding low frequency room issues, either room EQ below 500 Hz, or some kind of bass traps (we use RealTraps in our trade show hotel rooms to good effect), are almost always required to get decent bass performance in a space with walls. Although many get mixed results with Audyssey, I do hear that the higher end XT32 versions work pretty well. And Anthem room correction when used for frequencies below 500 Hz only is really the best I've used. There are stand-alone systems for room EQ (from simple filters to the more exotic like the DSPeaker products).

And of course moving the sub away from boundaries will always help minimize. Have fun!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks Moderator Dude, found it.
Thanks for taking the time to help.
I should already have tried a few things, but had an amp go south on me today, causing some major re-wiring.
So before I try some changes, let me be clear on one or two things you wrote, please.
With my processor set to LFE only for the sub, then I do not get any assistance for the front T2s. I went back and played the opening of Strauss' awesome "Also Sprach Zarathustra" and I NEED the sub helping out. OK, with the sub it rattled the walls, so YES, I will turn it down.
You are sure setting it to LFE+Main will not work? Then I have to set the front T2s to small? I can do that, and set the crossover low to say 40 or 60 hz, but I do not understand why you said that would only work for stereo, two-channel? That should kick in the sub across the board with movies too.
The problem I see with that, and it MAY be what you were saying, is that then the center and surround channels will also have to play down to 40 or 60 hz, which they will not do so well.
I can hook up the sub single ended from my processor, but I am afraid I have already run a balanced cable under the floor, which can only come out by destroying one end of the cable. Or, IF I were handy, I could change the termination on both ends, but I am NOT handy. Honestly, I wired in for the Paradigm sub but my VERY persuasive GE distributor MADE me try the FF5 first before I bought the Paradigm. He is right about one thing, if I like the FF5 it is 1/3 the price.
The sub is in the middle of rear wall of the Home theater, giving me three subs with the ones in the T2s. And that is the way I wanted to keep it, running them full range.
Will see if you want to straighten me out more, meanwhile I will try more experimentation.
Thanks so much, God Bless, Wayne

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3338
Moderator Posted 6 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
Yes, that's the problem. As soon as you set the main speakers to Small the bass for all Small channels will be directed to the sub. With your sub in the rear, this is even more of a problem. You want the other channel bass directed to the Triton Twos, which means setting them as Large.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks once again,
With the T2s set to large and with the FF5 sub set to LFE only, and the crossover for the small speakers set to 80 Hz, then this is one sweet sounding system for movies AND most music where I am not needing the REALLY low bass. Generally speaking the T2s have plenty of bass. But I have them at 12 o'clock, AND I am a bit of a bass head.
I will keep experimenting. What is the big no no about using LFE+MAIN?
I am pretty much sure that my ceiling is not anywhere near as acoustically dead as I need it to be.
I have the FF5 turned sideways and back against the rear wall, because that is the only way I can get the bottom infrasonic radiator to be all over solid floor. There is a rug just in front of the sub, and IF I turn it straight forward then an inch or two of the infrasonic rad. is over the rug, the rest over the solid (marble) floor. Will this matter? Should I leave it sideways or turn it facing the room and a little bit over the rug?
Thanks for all your kind help and advice,
God Bless, Wayne

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
When set to LFE+Main (The T2s still set to large), then the lowest choice for LPF for LFE is 80 Hz, going up from there. I surely don't want to cut off the bass from the Triton 2s at 80 Hz.
It goes up from there, perhaps I am not understanding what this means?
The note at the bottom of this page is that it plays the bass of Large speakers also from the Sub
What are your thoughts?
Blessings, Wayne

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support ForceField Subs Subwoofer setup and room interactions