file Subwoofer setup and room interactions

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 7021
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 8 months ago
Thanks Moderator Dude,
What a great / thoughtful response and so very helpful!!!
I don't know how small or large my bass response problem is in my room, but when I get back home I will use my SPL meter to check, I will TRY to get my wife to crawl around making low warbling sounds!!!!
Seriously, I am a victim of some choices I made already--you are exactly right. BUT I am pleased to say that I don't feel like a victim:
BECAUSE I have a GREAT GOLDENEAR DISTRIBUTOR to let me audition the ForceField 5, and GREAT support here from you and the guys on this forum!!!! These are great reasons right here to go with the GoldenEar FF5 as opposed to the vastly more expensive subwoofer I was considering. They would not give me this kind of support.
And NO, I have not tried running Audyssey yet, I don't like it, as you know, but I will have a go with it before I get too complicated with other options. I will try that when I get back home in a coupla weeks.
Then, failing that, I will try what you suggested. Actually the Marantz, which is admittedly limited in bass mgmt, will be easy to connect this way, it has balanced and unbalanced outputs for 2 subs. You have given me a good option to make this thing play the way I had envisioned/hoped.
Thanks and God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 8548
anthem Posted 6 years 8 months ago
Great response Wayne..let us know when your wife goes on "the crawl" I want to come watch. :lol:
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > Decware Zen Torii mk4 > McIntosh MC152 > Emotiva xpa1 Mono's > Anthem Statement P2 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Morrow Audio > Oppo 205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 8 months ago
Yeah, Bro Anthem, that will be the day!!!!! ha ha
And it is her birthday tomorrow, then Valentine's Day a coupla days after that. I am outta the country and will miss it all, for a few more weeks.
I gotta stop this, it is getting old, OK, truth to tell, I feel like I might, accidentally nearly kinda sorta be about to be getting old my own self.
I have been in the oilfield 40 years now, time to quit.
SOON I hope.
Then I can have some GREAT LISTENING to LOTS of TUNES and MOVIES

Blessings from India, Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 4 months ago
OK, here's the deal. We started talking about this 4 months ago. I have been away working, and must go away and work more. Can't retire just yet, though I hope to do so by the end of Sept.
Meantime, I still have the FF5 on loan and am just back to trying to get it integrated well into my system. Play nicely or go back.
But there are lots of things to try first, the Moderator Dude gave good suggestions, but I have not managed to find a disc with low freq. sounds on it. And I just got around to running Audyssey yesterday.
I am so VERY frustrated with all this because it is taking so long to get back to it, and I have forgotten so much. I hate to tell on my self, but here goes, for the last week and a half, I have been changing out amps and cables and tweaking things. Been reaching around behind the FF5 sub and turning up and down the volume in small increments--but nothing changed; WELL, I forgot which was the volume and have been turning the top knob, NOT the volume. DAMN stupid. Now I can turn it up!
Another stupid thing, I got to thinking that all this "dialing in" and trying this amp and that cable, all of this, I had been ASSUMING that was all happening with Audyssey off. Because I had not even bothered to run Audyssey since I got my system set up in this new house, in our home theater. But when I actually got around to thinking about Audyssey and how it is setup and run, I wondered IF it might have been on all this time, even with the old house settings???
Trying to see if I can tame room interactions, I ran Audyssey, which I don't like. First thing, it told me my FR speaker is out of phase. I have seen other people complain about that, I never saw it but now I have, I am stupid, but NOT QUITE THAT STUPID YET!!!! So I ignored that message.
Then, once run, I had to get online and search and search to find out what the Audyssey terms meant, what was the diff between Aud. and Aud. Flat, etc. I could not even remember those. First thing I noticed with Aud. on, some of the life was sucked out of the sound. Especially on the top end, the "air" was gone to a large degree. This in all Aud. settings. Next I noticed that it did tame a boost in the medium lowish mid-range. There was a bloom there when Aud. was off, gone when on, that must be some room mode. Although it was not a particularly unpleasant sound, it is better gone. I could not tell much difference in bass, the whole reason for doing this (I thought, the midrange deal was a pleasant surprise). I think with Aud. Flat on I do get a better integration of the bass between the Triton2s in the front and the FF5 in the rear (middle). It became less easy to localize the bass, left/right/center rear. It sounded as if the bass was now a foundation to the music, an even layer of bass all along the floor like a mist had moved in, a mist of bottom sound. I will need to listen more here, I kinda liked this, so far.
And since this is for 5 channels, surround sound, I tried it with movies. Here I was also pleasantly surprised. I played the train wreck from "Super 8". With Aud. (normal one for movies) off I got a lot of high pitched edge to the sounds like someone trying to tear a coke can by working it back and forth. I have always hated this sound and associated it with bad foley work by the sound crew. Aud. rolled that right off in a very pleasant way. I liked that. The FF5 really brought out the full awesomeness of the explosions. But then I tried the movie "Flight of the Phoenix" WHOA. The opening Johnny Cash song, the FF5 was just about jumping off the floor, I had to run and turn down the volume--now that I had found the right knob!!! I really see IF the FF5 stays in my system, I will have to have a remote volume control for it. Yes, it can be done from the Marantz, but not easily. (More on this in another thread).
With the FF5 turned down, that sandstorm and crash was awesome too.
SOOO, I am having to re-learn things, get back up to speed, just to know where to look next on this ride toward home theater perfection.
Frustrating, but I am happy to have learned a few things the past coupla days.
Anybody feel free to jump in with suggestions.
Blessings, Wayne

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3338
Moderator Posted 6 years 4 months ago
You ought to be able to find a sub level that does not need constant adjustment. Perhaps as you get the room modes tamed you will find that level.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 4 months ago
Thanks Bro Moderator Dude,
The two movies were really wildly different in bass volume. Perhaps they were just a one-off. I will have to try some other movies. I really don't think this is room node, reinforcement that I was hearing on Flight of the Phoenix, as it was on music, but I need to listen more carefully. I will keep tinkering and testing.
I will try to look at more manual adjustment, and run Audyssey again now that I am back at it.
Perhaps I will find a volume level that suits all the time, OR at least one for ALL MUSIC and one that suits ALL MOVIES. I could easily live with that.
Otherwise I have one more idea for a new post, question.
Thanks, God Bless,
Wayne

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support ForceField Subs Subwoofer setup and room interactions