file Subwoofer setup and room interactions

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3337
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Moderator Posted 6 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Moderator. info_outline

I will keep experimenting. What is the big no no about using LFE+MAIN?

Its in the manual (still), and its only a no-no if you want your system to sound balanced. If you want the bass to be doubled (yes, you are adding 3dB of all bass info from all channels below the 120Hz crossover) that's certainly your choice. Bass+ is more common for outboard sub based systems with a 80 Hz or lower crossover, and I understand it is a favorite for hip hop and rap music listeners.

I have the FF5 turned sideways and back against the rear wall, because that is the only way I can get the bottom infrasonic radiator to be all over solid floor. There is a rug just in front of the sub, and IF I turn it straight forward then an inch or two of the infrasonic rad. is over the rug, the rest over the solid (marble) floor. Will this matter? Should I leave it sideways or turn it facing the room and a little bit over the rug?

The surface below the sub doesn't matter, its the slot that is created by the floor and the bottom of the sub that is critical.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The note at the bottom of this page is that it plays the bass of Large speakers also from the Sub
What are your thoughts?

Don't use it. :)

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 7021
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 8 months ago
Well, I am still trying.
My old sub filled in the bottom notes for me when playing music, reasonably well, down to OK but not low enough. It did NOT give me enough bombast during movies.
The FF5 can tear the house down on movies, LOUD and LOW!!!! I am shocked at that. But I have not gotten it tamed down to fill in the bottom octave I want with the Triton 2s on music. I have turned the FF5 down as you suggested to around 8:30 or 9:00. That works pretty well. I am much closer than I thought I would be a week ago when I first fired up the sub. It is just not mating totally well with the bottom end of the T2s with music (I am still in LFE+MAIN--sorry, but don't know any other way to make these play together), the FF5 still sounds a bit loose or flabby, or overdone compared to the T2s. I am not blaming the FF5, I know it is just not set up right yet, but still looking to see how to do that? It may mean room correction or bass traps, but those are last resorts 1 & 2.

I am in the airport now, on my way for 3 weeks away from home, working. DRAT. I will just have to spend more time trying things.
I had already determined that I would have to have a competitor's 15 inch sub which has room correction software. But that sub is 3 times the price of the FF5 AND it is hard to imagine that it can really play any lower than the FF5, or that it needs to anyway. I really want to make the FF5 work for my system.
Open to suggestions.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

Sounds to me like you have a significant room node that the FF5 is exciting. I think your best choice is still to turn off the bass+ feature and use an outboard room acoustics device like the DSPeaker product I recommended to you in the other thread. I believe the cost of that device plus our sub is still less than the other brand's sub with the room EQ built in you were considering. I bet you can buy online ( simplifiaudio.com ) and try that room EQ box too.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 7021
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 8 months ago
Thanks once again Moderator Dude,
I read all I could, several reviews of the DSPeaker Anti Mode 2.
I don't doubt that it is a good equalizer. And I don't doubt too much that my room needs one, seems nearly every room does.
I am NOT getting one note bass from the FF5 by any means, I can't hear that the room is getting excited in a node. I have heard that before.
AND I am DENSE. Please forgive me, I am not being argumentative at all.
I just don't get it. I don't see how you would hook this up either, or any other room equalizer without using the LFE+MAIN selection.
I am not talking about a bass plus feature. I am just talking about how to get the bass from my main speakers to go to and be played by the sub as well as the Triton 2s?
When I had ribbon speakers, Apogee Stages, I would set them to small and add a sub. But now that I have the amazing Triton 2s, I don't wish to designate them as small, and cut off their ability to play the bass down below a certain 80Hz rolloff, or such. I want 3 subs playing all music and movies, the T2s in the front of the room and the FF5 in the rear.
On the Marantz AV7005 is there another way to do this?
What am I missing about the basic hook up?
Thanks and blessings,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
Hi Wayne,

OK, I'll accept as a premise that your room's bass issues are minor (an SPL meter and a series of low frequency warble tones would allow you to verify that if you were so inclined). And, unrelated, if the room doesn't have big bass issues why even consider the other brand's pricier sub with the built-in room EQ feature? Lastly, before moving on, have you considered trying the Audyssey in your Marantz?

So, the way I see it you are a victim of three choices you've made so far: 1) Sub in rear of room, 2) Marantz's good (and adequate) but pedestrian bass management options, 3) A SuperSat 50C for the center. Unless something changes, your options are limited.

With all that in mind, I have a suggested way to TRY so you can have your cake and eat it too:

1) Run THREE sub cables from the Marantz's sub-out (2, to Tritons + 1, already in place for ForceField);
2) Set Tritons (L/R Main) to SMALL, and let's pick a 100 Hz Crossover to start for the front L/R (remember it is still going to get the rest of the bass down the sub channel cable, including the center channel bass, along with the outboard sub);
3) Set Center and Surrounds to SMALL, and let's start with a 100 Hz crossover for the Center, 120 Hz for Surrounds;
4) Set Sub to YES and set its crossover to 100 Hz (if there's a separate setting). LFE, if separate , to 120 Hz or None;
5) Turn off that bass+ feature

The caveats would be: 1) A 120Hz crossover for Center may be more appropriate for high volume listening, 2) But.... the higher the Center channel crossover the more issue you may have with dialog coming from the sub behind you. 3) You'll need to find a volume setting for the Tritons and ForceField 5 that works for you, may take some experimentation; 4) The front crossover and the center crossover should be kept the same if you make changes.

Have fun.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support ForceField Subs Subwoofer setup and room interactions