file Spikes or no spikes (carpet / pad over concrete)

  • GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Posts: 465
    • Thank you received: 771
    • Karma: 1
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
GDHAL Posted 3 years 4 days ago
#16683
This thread has piqued my curiosity to perhaps try my T1's with the spikes.

Question for the group...

The speakers are resting on relatively shallow but dense (berber) carpet. Would one objective of installing the spikes be to raise the base off the carpet so there is a half inch or so of space between the carpet and the underside of the speaker base? Should one be concerned about an increase in tweeter height, because the higher the speaker is raised the more off axis it becomes with respect to ear height level while in the PLP?
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, Samsung UN65KS9800, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html ; halr.x10.mx/AV.jpg
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe, HTSME

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Posts: 856
    • Thank you received: 1757
    • Karma: 1
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
ArthurDaniels Posted 3 years 4 days ago
#16684
Go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy some rubber furniture cups. You can use these cups on the carpet to further elevate your Tritons after you install the spikes -- or, you can use cups in the rear to tilt the Tritons forward to change the tweeter angle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe, HTSME

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • imahawki's Avatar Offline school
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
    • Posts: 278
    • Thank you received: 578
    • Karma: 1
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
imahawki Posted 3 years 2 days ago
Last edit: 3 years 1 day ago by Moderator. info_outline
#16712

GDHAL wrote: This thread has piqued my curiosity to perhaps try my T1's with the spikes.

Question for the group...

The speakers are resting on relatively shallow but dense (berber) carpet. Would one objective of installing the spikes be to raise the base off the carpet so there is a half inch or so of space between the carpet and the underside of the speaker base? Should one be concerned about an increase in tweeter height, because the higher the speaker is raised the more off axis it becomes with respect to ear height level while in the PLP?


I think a few mm would be inconsequential. A lot of thought goes in to tweeter height for sure but the manufacturer has no idea how high your chair is or how tall you are. Also a lot can be solved with a slight tilt forward or back. A few degree told at the speaker can make a big difference 8-12+ feet away.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe, HTSME

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Posts: 465
    • Thank you received: 771
    • Karma: 1
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
GDHAL Posted 3 years 2 days ago
Last edit: 3 years 1 day ago by Moderator. info_outline
#16713

imahawki wrote: I think a few mm would be inconsequential. A lot of thought goes in to tweeter height for sure but the manufacturer has no idea how high your chair is or how tall you are. Also a lot can be solved with a slight tilt forward or back. A few degree told at the speaker can make a big difference 8-12+ feet away.


Thanks for the reply/opinion imahawki.

To date I have changed the footing on my Triton's to spikes. I cannot say I hear a difference, but admittedly, I knew any change would be rather subtle so it is hard to tell. I've also installed some acoustic foam in first reflection spots (side walls and ceiling) as well as bass traps. Suffice to say I'll live with the "theoretical improvements". ;)

As it turns out, in my case putting the spikes on raises the height about 1/4 inch and in my case that is welcomed because it raises the tweeter height to 42.5 inches (approx) which is even closer to my seated PLP ear height position.
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, Samsung UN65KS9800, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html ; halr.x10.mx/AV.jpg
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe, HTSME

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Posts: 1948
    • Thank you received: 3926
    • Karma: 2
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rjohn79395 Posted 3 years 2 days ago
#16714
I've checked the gap under the Tritons with the rubber feet.. looks nice and clear (other than a dust ball or two :P ).

Guess I'll leave them just as they are on the wood floors. :)

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2, HTR 7000 top fronts, Invisa 525 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 7010
Amps: AT525NC 5 channel, Parasound 275 v.2 stereo
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i
47" Panasonic 3D smart tv
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Posts: 2294
    • Thank you received: 4367
    • Karma: 5
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 2 years 10 months ago
#17183

GDHAL wrote:

imahawki wrote: I think a few mm would be inconsequential. A lot of thought goes in to tweeter height for sure but the manufacturer has no idea how high your chair is or how tall you are. Also a lot can be solved with a slight tilt forward or back. A few degree told at the speaker can make a big difference 8-12+ feet away.


Thanks for the reply/opinion imahawki.

To date I have changed the footing on my Triton's to spikes. I cannot say I hear a difference, but admittedly, I knew any change would be rather subtle so it is hard to tell. I've also installed some acoustic foam in first reflection spots (side walls and ceiling) as well as bass traps. Suffice to say I'll live with the "theoretical improvements". ;)

As it turns out, in my case putting the spikes on raises the height about 1/4 inch and in my case that is welcomed because it raises the tweeter height to 42.5 inches (approx) which is even closer to my seated PLP ear height position.


GDHAL,

This was the post that had me believing that you were not all that impressed with the acoustic treatments as you stated you'd live with the theoretical improvements. I knew I had seen it somewhere... I have a mind like a steel trap: it catches everything and in the process, it gets all mangled! Anyways, I'm glad to hear your improvements are noticeable and not just theoretical. I suspected you would achieve a real improvement with a few treatments. Can't wait to hear how you like the Triton References in your setup. ;)

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Spikes or no spikes (carpet / pad over concrete)