file Anybody using PS Audio M1200 monoblocks?

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 881
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
charliehatch Posted 2 months 1 week ago
Rick,

I agree about the recording quality driving the final result. I'll give Norah a try and see if I can find a 44/16 to compare her to.

M1200s arrive tomorrow, FedEx willing. I will reserve judgment until they break in. It will be tricky because I've been listening to headphones for the past couple of weeks, and they have been breaking in while I adapted to them! My Bel Cantos can't be used for comparison at the moment.

By way of reverse comparison, I did a quick test of my older CIAudio E-200S stereo amp (200W Class D) before I ship it off to PS Audio as a trade in. While they sounded sweet enough, they were definitely weaker on the slam side. So moving up to 600W should make an improvement. We'll see.

Charlie
PS Audio P20 feeds all components of 2.0 System: Auralic Aries G2> USB > DSPeaker Anti-Mode X4 DAC/Pre > Core Power Diamond XLR interconnects > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Core Power Diamond banana speaker cables > Triton References on IsoAcoustics Gaia II isolators
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4244
rjohn79395 Posted 2 months 1 week ago
Hey Charlie

Re break in, one of the M1200 reviewers said they sounded "like a typical Class D amp would sound" when first played, brand new, wondered if the tube stage made any difference. He called Darren Meyers, the designer at PS Audio, to discuss, and Darren said they really needed 100 hours of break in to open up with best sound. And he also said one way to speed up the break in was to play music to them continuously, even without speakers connected and run them 24/7 for at least 100 hours. Hmmm, never thought of that. I know you can change the phase hook up of one the speakers to reduce sound level when not actively listening, but didn't know the components would still get a burn in workout if not driving speakers, as long as they're getting a music feed....

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2, HTR 7000 top fronts, Invisa 525 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 7010
Amps: AT525NC 5 channel, Parasound 275 v.2 stereo
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks for the information. Yeah, I wonder about not having the speakers connected too. If you're breaking in the front end (which will include the tube section), I can see how it probably wouldn't matter whether the speakers are hooked up. But the output side would seem to need current to get fully exercised. Maybe most of the break in in these amps involves the front end.

I really don't want to run the speakers loud for a long time either, just because of the wear and tear on the speakers. (Maybe it's not an issue, but...)

100 hours is four days continuous. Wow. I'll probably pursue some compromise.

It will be interesting.

Charlie
PS Audio P20 feeds all components of 2.0 System: Auralic Aries G2> USB > DSPeaker Anti-Mode X4 DAC/Pre > Core Power Diamond XLR interconnects > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Core Power Diamond banana speaker cables > Triton References on IsoAcoustics Gaia II isolators

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Last edit: 2 months 1 week ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Charlie re your headphones breaking in, my HiFiman Ananda planar magnetics took about 60 hours to really mellow out and blossom, don't know about cone drivers but probably something similar. How many hours do you think you have on the Stellia's? Great headphones, and should sound even better when fully broken in.

I'm with you on break in, I never managed to just run the system with a new amp continuously and at reasonably loud SL's, so tended to choose music when I played with lots of dynamics and frequency range including deep bass, and push the Sl's now and then. Don't know if SL is as important in amp break in as in speaker break in, but I would think the amp output stages need a good workout also. My ATi amp installed several years ago came with a recommendation to run continuously for a week to break in! Didn't do that, was a bit more patient.

Have fun! Will be interested in your first impressions out of the box, and what you hear as they get burned in.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2, HTR 7000 top fronts, Invisa 525 top rears
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: charliehatch

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

How many hours do you think you have on the Stellia's? Great headphones, and should sound even better when fully broken in.

I'm with you on break in, I never managed to just run the system with a new amp continuously and at reasonably loud SL's, so tended to choose music when I played with lots of dynamics and frequency range including deep bass, and push the Sl's now and then.
Rick

I have around 40 hours on them now. Around the 30 hour mark I noticed they had really mellowed out. Now they sound terrific, still clear and very detailed, but no treble harshness left. Excellent headphones.

My favorite break in music: pipe organ. Lots of deep bass, and a complex mixture of frequencies and dynamics. That music sounds fantastic on the Stellias too!

Charlie

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Last edit: 2 months 1 week ago by rjohn79395. info_outline

Rick,

Frankly, I have tried many times to hear the difference between 44.1 and higher sample rates, even to the point of buying different versions of the same recordings. I can't hear a difference. (How's that for confirmation bias?) My hearing is bandwidth limited to maybe 4 kHz. I keep thinking the higher sample rates may have better phase behavior in the audio band with the reconstruction filter corner farther away, but I haven't been able to detect it.

Charlie

Hey Charlie, a couple more thoughts on 16/44.1 vs. hi res. I think a lot of the hi res we can stream from Qobuz etc. is older 16/44 CD recordings later remastered/upsampled to say 24/96. The hi res versions may have more data points, but they basically have the same audio info, but upsampled. I believe the best hi res in terms of hearing a difference is the newer stuff actually recorded in hi res so there is actually more audio data.

I have heard lots of 16/44.1 music that is outstanding, and lots of upmixed/remastered 24/96 that may or may not be any better than the original 16/44 version it was remastered from. So I'll take well recorded 16/44.1 over attempts to remaster so-so SQ 16/44.1 to hi res anytime. And music originally recorded well in hi res is great when it's done right. I hope we'll see more music originally recorded in hi res to stream over time.

But I'll play and enjoy any music that is well done without worrying too much about whether it's 16/44 or 24/96. I suspect the expertise of the recording engineers, and gear used is more critical than choice of bit depth etc. Good is good regardless of bit depth/sample rate.

Rick
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: charliehatch

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Anybody using PS Audio M1200 monoblocks?