file Anybody using PS Audio M1200 monoblocks?

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 8905
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
anthem Posted 3 months 2 weeks ago
This why I like the Decware Zen Line Conditioner. It has individual switching capability which allows each component to be turned off in sequence. Stand-by mode is eliminated. I like the thought of my components drawing no electricity other than the Zen Line Conditioner itself.

My Wife works. She pays the Electric bill. She appreciates the Decware ZLC!
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > Decware Zen Torii mk4 > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Cambridge Audio Azur 840C > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Clarity Precision Speaker Cables > Anticable & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: charliehatch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 888
charliehatch Posted 3 months 2 weeks ago
My P20 has several independent banks of outlets that can be individually programmed to switch on at different times, so it sounds similar to your setup. The only bank I delay on startup is the one feeding the TRefs because I know those monster amps briefly suck a lot of power the instant you energize them.

All my audio gear (and TV) are plugged into the P20. Even with everything running and playing heavy bass at high volume, the entire system draws only a few hundred watts out of 2000 available.

I'm not sure what you mean by "standby mode is eliminated." The M1200s can be put into standby mode, which is recommended. It shuts down the tube but keeps other stuff running. I can always turn off the amps completely either with their rear panel rocker switch or from the P20.

But the M1200s are the only components I have with tubes. All else is solid state, so perpetually on they are unless I leave home for more than a day.
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I sure wouldn't mind having a P20. To rich for my blood, though. I guess you could say, " I gots what I gots and I'm happy with it".

What I mean by "Standby Mode" is when electronic devices are receiving power but not running.

I leave the power switches on my equipment ON at all times.
Each of my components is controlled by a rocker switch on the front of the ZLC. I turn on each component in sequence and turn off in reverse sequence. When each switch is turned off all electricity is cut...No "Standby Mode"...

Personally I don't think you'll hurt anything buy leaving the M1200's in standby mode. Being Class d they are electricity friendly anyway.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > Decware Zen Torii mk4 > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Cambridge Audio Azur 840C > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Clarity Precision Speaker Cables > Anticable & Shunyata Venom PC's

The following user(s) said Thank You: charliehatch

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks. I guess I was a bit slow on that one. :)
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi Folks,

An update on the M1200s...

PS Audio was kind enough to overnight me a matched set of tubes. At almost the same time, my repaired and upgraded Bel Cantos arrived, so before installing the new tubes in the M1200 I put the Bel Cantos back in the system for a quick listen. (I had not been able before to do any kind of meaningful A/B comparison.) Once back in the system, I could tell the difference between them and the M1200s. Slightly softer bass, less soundstage depth, and a bit harsh on top. That slight harshness is what had made me consider changing amps before, but I was never sure what the source of that was.

Then I installed the new tubes in the M1200s and carefully verified that they were fully seated up to the ceramic sockets. As a last touch, I installed some Herbies SS tube dampers.

(See positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-r...200-power-amplifier/ for a review and discussion of tube seating. I think the reviewer is too worried about the horizontal tube mounting. Those puppies are in there tight, and I don't think they're ever going to move.)

The sound was greatly improved. I think some of the upper end brittleness I had been hearing was possibly due to tube microphonics.

Now, after around 70-80 hours total break in time, they have really become fantastic. The midrange is very clear and lush (a noticeable difference in midrange clarity after the failing tube change), and the upper end is highly detailed, yet non-fatiguing. The soundstage is enormously deep with excellent imaging. Lately I've been noticing cellos in recordings. They are detailed and lush sounding. Gone are the slightly edgy overtones I used to hear. Piano hammer strikes are clear and totally realistic, and the notes sound like you're there. The high resolution of these amps produces unbelievable detail all the way up the audio band. I mentioned the percussion dynamics before: excellent. Everything is real, real, real. Like I said before, VIVID.

I could go on and on, but at this point I'm very impressed and pleased with these amps. I suspect they'll continue to break in and improve a bit more, but WOW! I'll take them as they are..

(Well, sort of. I have ordered a matched set of Genalex Gold Lions from Tube Depot. Just to see if there's any difference between them and the PSVane tubes. And I'll probably check out anthem's recommended tubes. One has to explore these new realms.)

So Rick, you should strongly consider these. There is a 30 day return policy if you don't like them.

Charlie
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
The jury is still out on the Herbies Tube Dampers. I thought they made recordings sound rather sterile. Haven't used them in quite sometime, may pop a set on the GE 12au7's and reacquaint myself.

I think you'll like the Gold Lion. I bought a pair from Upscale Audio. One of them developed a static noise a couple of years after I had purchased them, so pulled both out and replaced with others I have.

It's a good idea to have numerous tubes on hand, just in case one gives up the ghost. Plus you can tailor the sound to your liking.

Good to hear you're liking what you're hearing. And yes, Rick should consider getting a pair.

The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, charliehatch

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Anybody using PS Audio M1200 monoblocks?