file Anybody using PS Audio M1200 monoblocks?

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4244
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rjohn79395 Posted 2 months 1 week ago
Nice headphone setup, Charlie!

Can you play/stream hi res music this way also? You certainly have the gear that can bring out the detail.

Yeah, it's a different experience listening with headphones.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2, HTR 7000 top fronts, Invisa 525 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 7010
Amps: AT525NC 5 channel, Parasound 275 v.2 stereo
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 881
charliehatch Posted 2 months 1 week ago
anthem,

Thanks for the link to the 6moons review! That has pretty much decided me, although I don't think I need that much power. 400W should be fine with the TRefs.

I do like the use of silver wiring; I've seen elsewhere that this can make a significant difference.

I found a table of specs at D Sonic that says the gain of the 400W unit is 26 dB, but that is modified to 32 dB for multi-channel units. That's probably what the arcane abbreviations are saying. Specs are here for anyone who's interested: www.d-sonic.com/specifications/

Rick,

Yes. My Auralic Aries G2 streams hi-res and sends it via USB to the DSPeaker DAC/Pre. From there to my headphones.

The system is very transparent and revealing, which is why I'm being cautious about amp selection. A while back Stereophile had a limited review of the DSPeaker, with no measurements, and rated it Class B. I don't have a lot of experience with preamps, but I do think this box is better than Class B. But I could be wrong. Have been before.

Charlie
PS Audio P20 feeds all components of 2.0 System: Auralic Aries G2> USB > DSPeaker Anti-Mode X4 DAC/Pre > Core Power Diamond XLR interconnects > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Core Power Diamond banana speaker cables > Triton References on IsoAcoustics Gaia II isolators
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Last edit: 2 months 1 week ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Another question about your setup, Charlie

Does your DAC play native DSD formats? My Cobalt DAC that I use for headphones converts DSD to PCM to play it. My good buddy in Thailand, Wayne Wilmeth, has a DAP and plays only DSD music to his ciems, swears it's the best. I'm thinking of getting a DSD capable DAP for my HiFiman Ananda headphones for when we go to NH for the summer and leave the GoldenEars behind (I can stream hi res from Qobuz or Amazon Ultra via the Bluesound Node 2i to them, and the Marantz can play DSD from SACD's via the Oppo to the GoldenEar's, but the Cobalt can't play DSD to the headphones). The headphones become my main quality music playback means all summer.

Also any recommendations from anyone re DAP's with excellent DAC's/SQ?

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2, HTR 7000 top fronts, Invisa 525 top rears
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: charliehatch

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Rick,

My DSPeaker DAC/Pre handles up to DSD128. That said, all my music and streaming is via .flac, which I'm assuming is compressed PCM. Qobuz gets me up to 192 kHz. I don't use DSD.

Frankly, I have tried many times to hear the difference between 44.1 and higher sample rates, even to the point of buying different versions of the same recordings. I can't hear a difference. (How's that for confirmation bias?) My hearing is bandwidth limited to maybe 4 kHz. I keep thinking the higher sample rates may have better phase behavior in the audio band with the reconstruction filter corner farther away, but I haven't been able to detect it.

I should try these experiments again using headphones.

Charlie
PS Audio P20 feeds all components of 2.0 System: Auralic Aries G2> USB > DSPeaker Anti-Mode X4 DAC/Pre > Core Power Diamond XLR interconnects > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Core Power Diamond banana speaker cables > Triton References on IsoAcoustics Gaia II isolators
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
All,

I decided to go with the M1200s, and I ordered a pair this morning. It was a tough decision, but a big factor for me was my positive experiences dealing with PS Audio. And, they gave me an $1800 price break with my trading in my CI Audio E-200S stereo amp, which I haven't been using. So, the pain wasn't quite as bad.

Now we'll see. I'll report on how they sound with the TRefs.

Charlie
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Last edit: 2 months 1 week ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
I've read lots of reviews of the PS Audio M1200's, Charlie, and the impression is that they do an outstanding job overall, and that the bass is amazingly clean, powerful, SQ very close to the more expensive BHK's. Did see the Sterophile review you mentioned. Darren Myers at PS Audio, the designer of the M1200's, also designed the Stellar phono pre-amp for them, which also gets great reviews, seems to be an emerging audio wunderkind. I don't think you could go wrong with either the M1200's or the D Sonics. Looking forward to your listening impressions! Though PS Audio, and reviewers, do say they need some burn in time to blossom.

Re our hi res discussion, I find that recording quality is the primary SQ driver. Can't fix that after the fact it seems. I've heard hi res versions of some music originally 16/44.1 that sounded pretty flat and blah. Maybe the hi res remaster even brought out more of the original faults??? Well recorded stuff, like Norah Jones' hi res Cold, Cold Heart, and Don't Know Why, on Qobuz is just stunning .

Enjoy the M1200's!!!

Rick
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: charliehatch

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Anybody using PS Audio M1200 monoblocks?