file What are YOUR Top 10 favorite 'live' albums?

• dave@get's Avatar school
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
dave@get Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
OK, here's your chance to lay it on the line. What are your most revered "desert island" 'live' albums of all time? Can be any genre, but here are some rules:

1) You can only post one Top 10 list, so decide your list carefully.
2) You cannot see one on another list and decide you forgot that one or like it better than one you picked. Your first 10 is it.
3) Write just a couple sentences for each as to why they're your favorites.
4) These are opinions from each so I'm not looking for never-ending arguments or commentary over someone's selection. To that end, if you are compelled to rebut an album choice by another, you get one post to do it, and up to 5 albums may be rebutted in that post.
5) No nastiness. This is supposed to be fun.

I'll start. Oh, wait. No, I won't. When an old friend posed this to me some years ago I couldn't answer then and still can't decide on only 10 now. But I will tell you a few that would be way up there for me, in no particular order:

"Live Bullet" by Bob Seger. It's the sound of a band on the edge of making it big and playing in their home town as though their lives depended on it. And the cover showcase what a terrific interpretive singer Seger is.

"Waiting for Columbus" by Little Feat. This band brought greasy, snaky funk sensibilities to their rock and we are the better for it.

"Live at Fillmore East" by the Allman Brothers. This may be the definitive blues/rock/jam band live album. "Fillmore Concerts" is up there, too.

"Live at Leeds" by the Who. The sheer power and ferocity of this band in concert was something to behold.

"Live Oblivion" (both volumes) by Brian Auger's Oblivion Express. With future Santana singer Alex Ligertwood and future AWB drummer Steve Ferrone, this album represents some of the best jazz/rock/funk/fusion of the '70s.

"Live at the Club 502" by the Hank Marr Quartette. One of the criminally unknown B-3 jazz masters, Hank Marr's band could swing like no tomorrow. Sadly never released on CD but you may find it on vinyl if you look hard enough.

OK, so there are six and I haven't even scratched the surface. Limiting it to 10 has been, so far, impossible for me. How about you?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9094
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
anthem Posted 8 years 11 months ago
BAZINGA. I'm down for the count before we even get started. I've never had an appreciation for "live" recorded music... all the clapping and screaming plus being poorly recorded.

Yellowjackets - Twenty Five is the only "live" recording in my collection.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Cambridge Audio Azur 840C > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Raven Audio Soniquil, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: dave@get

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Another good and very welcome thread.
BUT I am gonna have to think about this one awhile, if this is a one time only answer, I will have to work on this.
I can say that I used to be like brother Anthem there, in that live albums bothered me most times. BUT now, Blu-ray concerts with their wonderful sound, and pictures and the ability to feel like you are at a live performance, have become my favorite music. Whether that is Rock and Roll, or classical.
I will have some to add to this in a few days.
But Dave, "Live Bullet" and "Live at the Fillmore East" are absolute classics!!!!
I will have to check out others you mention here, heck, I never heard of the Little Feat concert. (hate to admit that).
This is gonna be fun and informative.
Thanks, enjoy,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Another one that decidedly makes my top 10 'live' albums: 'Roadwork' by Edgar Winter's White Trash.

White Trash was Edgar Winter's R&B band but they run through many styles here: Gospel, R&B, Soul, Rock & Roll & and Funk. Part, if not all, was recorded at the Apollo Theater in Harlem, quite a step in 1972 for a white band. But they brought the house down and lucky for us this set captures some of those performances.

I keep thinking about other albums that might make the list. Cutting down to 10 ain't easy!

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Thanks Dave for that head's up. Edgar Winters sounds like a winner.
Yes, getting it down to 10 is no easy task.
I can make a pretty good list of LIVE concert DVDs, blu-rays. But albums, CDs not so much.
You made the rules Dude, what do you say?

God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Wayne,

I say OK - just denote that it's a concert video (not all are available as albums).

Ahh! Another one for me... 'Band of Gypsys.' Definite top 10 and the Eddie Kramer remaster sounds great on a good hi-fi.

Ugh, why did I limit us to 10??!! Might be time for New Rules!

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming What are YOUR Top 10 favorite 'live' albums?