file Blu-ray concerts and music

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 7020
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 2 years 4 months ago
Hey boys and girls,
How about I start a new topic here (rather than always posting these in what blu-ray did you watch last night?) for the concerts and pure music I am enjoying on blu-ray's incredible platform?
If that makes sense to you, I want to start with a small criticism of some of these and in particular the wonderful BR I am watching/listening to right now:
DANDRUFF!!!!
Come on now!!! I know we are here for the music only, not a show (OK I admit it, I like the SHOW!!!). And I know you are all just consummate musicians that you don't even think of running a comb through yer hair, or personal grooming, that is beneath the likes of you!!!
I get that! But we have BR which has the most fantastic pictures country boys like me have ever seen on the telly, with incredible detail and sharp images which thrill me. We can see what you musical stars look like up close and personal.
So for pity's sake, they, conductor and symphony members are wearing a black tux, it shows everything, can someone PLEASE brush off their shoulders, take one of those lint roller thingies to their jackets before they come out on stage???????
Nuff said, that is my quibble. Not a biggy but it does bug the dog do do outta me!!!
Let the reviews begin
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Vladimir Jurowski conducts the Chamber Orchestra of Europe. Strauss and Ravel.
This is middle times classical music to my way of thinking. These two powerful composers were heavy around the turn of the 20th century. Not old boys like the 3Bs, but not the moderns either. Strauss is called late Romantic, early modern, died a year after I was born, I didn't know that.
This is a smallish orchestra (chamber orchestra) of very good and capable players.
Strauss Metamorphosis is compelling and wonderful. You remember Richard Strauss, Thus Sprach Zarathustra (2001 opening theme)? His The Bourgeois Gentleman is presented well here too, playful at times, dance like.
The Ravel sports Helene Grimaud on solo piano. She is really lovely and plays Ravel's Concerto in G Major, WOW!!!!
In Ms Grimaud's hands this concerto is marvelous, sonorous, the piano sound is luscious here. This is music Bro Anthem might enjoy as Ravel is modern enough to be almost jazz style here, but lush romanticism too. Impressionism his style is called. Like the paintings.
You remember Ravel, the one that did Bolero? The one who wrote the orchestral version of Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition? This is up there at that same level. Flair, pizzazz, colors in the air above the orchestra!!! It is all here.
There is magic going on here between Ms Grimaud and Jurowski, the orchestra too. Check out the end of the 2nd movement when she is playing deliciously with the oboe and flute, great stuff!!!
The PQ is so great it is a shame! Jurowski has dandruff so big it looks like he has been eating crackers using his tux jacket as a tablecloth!!!!!!
The SQ is only 5.1 but is DTS-HD MA and amazing, rich and pretty warm but with exquisite treble detail. It (highest treble notes) will glare and be harsh on lesser systems.
The orchestra is smallish but they sound BIG, such is the power of the recording, they sound much bigger than your normal "chamber" orchestra usually does.
Let me add that I really enjoyed this concert as there are so many young and younger performers here, including the conductor and soloist. There is still classical and awesome music being made by the young, thank God!!!!
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by WayneWilmeth. info_outline
So TACET recordings, you have heard me mention the ones recording in 5 discrete channels of pure surround sound, have taken to releasing their music on the BR disc now.
This is the first one I got.
This offers a stereo track or 5.1 24 bit/96 kHz, which of course is what I listened to.
The Auryn Series feat. the Auryn (string) Quartet, also adding another cello plays Franz Schubert's String Quintet in C Major here.
The listener is placed in the middle of all players in the surround mix.
That sounds cool, and I have enjoyed it a lot before, but this recording does not do much for me. The music is pretty good and bass/midrange sound wonderful, but the high end sounds a little strident/edgy, glaring.
For now, I am sorry to say,
not really recommended.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by WayneWilmeth. Reason: sp info_outline
Bro Rick, I have enjoyed your comments about the classical composers and how they could "hear" in their minds what a score they were writing was gonna sound like. The sheer musicianship is astounding!!! For me, so is the mental discipline soloists have (and a few conductors) to memorize a whole (or many whole) symphony!!!! So many play without any music in front of them, indeed, like the following violin soloists cannot have music in front of them. It all has to be UP THERE in their heads. I cannot fathom that. I forget what I went to the fridge for!!!!
Example:
I think one of the best EuropaKonzert recordings is 2015 at Athens with Simon Rattle and the Berlin Philharmonic (their yearly anniversary concert in a notable Eur. city).
I do not care for his conducting generally, but it is fine here.
But this one has a Sibelius Violin Concerto by soloist Leonidas Kavakos which is wonderful.
Powerful, artistic and beautiful. He follows it after much applause with an encore by Bach, Largo from Sonata #3. He plays this masterfully unaccompanied by the rest of the orchestra. WOW!!! This guy impresses me!!!
There is other good music here, Schumann and Rossini.
PQ is stellar as is the SQ in 5.0
I am only recommending this one if you are a classical or violin fan. IF so, it is really quite a good concert!!! The BP always bring it!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by WayneWilmeth. Reason: sp info_outline
Don't laugh, I just got this and am thrilled with it, this will be a guilty pleasure for years to come!
"The Goat Rodeo Sessions Live"
YES!!!! Two Grammy awards winner (found out later).
I just took a leap with this one, just bought it on a hunch as the names are big.
Yo Yo Ma (GENIUS!) on cello, Edgar Meyer (yeah, I know, THE Edgar Meyer!!!) on bass and piano, Stuart Duncan on violin and other strings (even a banjo Bro Anthem!) and Chris Stile on Mandolin and other strings. And a lady singer joins.
I guess this was a musical experiment but the result is AWESOME!!!!
Musicianship off the charts here !!!!
Fun music, highly listenable. Great stuff, but the sound is what is amazing!!!
Well the PQ is right up there 10 outta 5 too, as is the SQ. These 4 guys are IN my Home Theater!!!! Edgar Meyer is playing the bass right in front of me and I can FEEL IT!!!!! WOWWWWW!!!!
The music is what, fusion between classical, folk, jazz, bluegrass or country????
It (some of the songs) remind me of times in the Appalachian mountains when the families would dig out the instruments, sing and play at night. But these guys are better than those people were (and many of them were GREAT). Yet this tends towards a little more high-brow feeling. These guys are WORLD CLASS.
I am so glad I found this.
CANNOT RECOMMEND THIS TOO HIGHLY, SUPER!!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 3874
rjohn79395 Posted 2 years 4 months ago
Ah, another morning of "free" reading of posts on these threads.... :lol:

Wayne, I just ordered "The Goat Rodeo Sessions". I'll start with that. Loved your description/review!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2, HTR 7000 top fronts, Invisa 525 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 7010
Amps: AT525NC 5 channel, Parasound 275 v.2 stereo
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, SONOS Connect
47" Panasonic 3D smart tv
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Blu-ray concerts and music