file Personal listening, Headphones, in ear monitors, DAPs n amps, possibly portable

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 7020
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 1 year 6 months ago
Can I start a new thread here about personal listening?
I am waiting for some GEt headphones!!! I think.
Pretty much depends on what they are, and of course, how much they cost.
I keep looking every now and then at pics of the Fostex TH900s, you know the ones with that great, beautiful red and platinum wooden cups? Lust. I even started trying to work up an excuse for getting them. Since they are closed back, I could get them to wear at night beside she who must not be disturbed, as she checks her phone and I read this forum. In bed, I would not bother her with my music!!!!! Then I read about them and found out they are not totally closed, the do leak quite a bit of sound, AND I would need a headphone amp for them. Now, I have a headphone amp, a big one, in my home theater, for my HiFiMan HE400i cans. They leak a LOT of sound, not closed at all, but sound great. They have to have an amp. They bother my wife sitting next to me in the HT.
They are not really portable, not good for walking.
Looked at the iFi iDSD Black Label portable DAC and amp, looks really great for the price.
I looked at a LOT of things and finally concluded my custom in ear monitors will have to suffice for now, for bed time listening. They play perfectly well with just my DAP, plenty of power there (Cowon Plenue M2----HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!!). I have ciems from Eartech Music, their Quads. They are wonderful, highly recommended too.
So, IF I could get my GEt fix in a closed back headphone at a reasonable price, I would be interested. IF it was pretty efficient, as our speakers are, so that I do not need a further amp, all the better.
There are really lots of considerations to discuss here, so I offer this up for discussion. IF the Moderator Dude would like to clue us in on any upcoming HP news, well that would be wonderful!!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
The above is gear I have, here are a couple of pics of gear I was checking out. Decided to wait, hold off on this, in hopes of GEt headphones.
Man these cans are pretty, have you seen this video on how these babies are made?

God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 3830
rjohn79395 Posted 1 year 6 months ago
Wayne, I’m waiting in that same line for GEt closed back headphones!

Sometimes at night I switch over to my SONY MDR1A closed back headphones on the HT system to avoid disturbing my better half. Would love to stay in GEt mode when switching, and would love to travel with GEt headphones, have them in NH all summer....

I know Moderator Dude said in the past they were in the project list. An update would be helpful. :)

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2, HTR 7000 top fronts, Invisa 525 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 7010
Amps: AT525NC 5 channel, Parasound 275 v.2 stereo
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, SONOS Connect
47" Panasonic 3D smart tv
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
To me, IF GEt can put that amazing HVFR in a headphone, we are more than half way there.
BUT, it is all about the mids and bass to me. Gotta get some real bass in there.
That is the reason I was looking at the Fostex, they are supposed to be amazing on bass.
That is the only reason actually, as my ciems, the Eartech Music Quads are almost perfect otherwise, they could use a little more "air" on the top end too.
Sooooo
I bought the ciems because I cannot get a seal AT ALL with universal in ear monitors. And if you don't get a seal, then you don't get bass. So I finally broke down and went to an audiologist and had impressions made, sent them off to EM and got me some Quads, their 4 driver ciems. But I told the VERY helpful guy there, Richard that my ear canals are smallish, so he recommended trying a new design he was working on that was for people with smaller canals. My Texans ciems are a prototype that they ended up not making available for sale as they are not totally great. So after I reviewed those for them, EM was so very kind to send me a pair of their normal Quads, and they are tremendous. They are the black and wood ones, see pic above. I have been loving them and gave them appropriate feedback about the same.
Well, since then they have made a 5 driver ciem, and are now testing a 6 driver, HEX model. Richard asked IF I wanted to beta test for them. OF COURSE, I jumped all over that offer.
So today is Christmas, I got them in the mail today. These are not available for sale yet, but IF they follow their previous pricing model, they would likely sell for $700 (my Quads were $500 and their new Quints are $600). Here is a pic, I am just breaking them in now.
My point being, these babies are for BASSHEADS!!!! They have a ton of BASS!!!!! So far, I am in love.
We'll see how they work out.
Later, God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 758
GDHAL Posted 1 year 6 months ago
I have an honest question. Totally serious so don't laugh and this in no way is a "trick" or "loaded" question.

Has anyone EVER heard or read of headphones being referred to as "cans". Literally spelled c a n s and used in the context of a sentence such as "are you listening to cans, speakers or something else"?

I haven't, but a "big-wig" in the audio industry through that term at me and I took offense. :angry:

After it was called to me attention that it (supposedly) means "headphones" I was apologetic. :dry: :S
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, Samsung UN65KS9800, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html ; halr.x10.mx/AV.jpg

• Timecop's Avatar Offline
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
    • Thank you received: 257
Timecop Posted 1 year 6 months ago
Last edit: 1 year 6 months ago by Timecop. info_outline
Yes, headphones are oft referred to as “cans”

I have both Fostex th900’s (red, though they do make green) and the IFI micro idsd. The th900’s are good closed backs, resolving and good bass (when driven with a decent amp). NO closed back will leak zero sound unless the volume is almost mute. The IFI is ... ok. The dual burr brown DACs are good until you hear something better, then you can’t un-hear their limitations. My recommendations would be:

Either Fostex th900’s or audeze lcd-XC (closed back planar magnetic headphones)
Coupled to a Chord Hugo 2 (which is a combined amp & DAC).

The hugo 2 is possibly the best DAC I’ve heard, certainly the best portable DAC.

My th900’s

The Hugo 2 I listened to at RMAF 2017
Triton Two front L/R
SuperSat 50c center
Triton Seven surround L/R
SuperSat 50 surround rear L/R
AVR Marantz sr6005
Amp Marantz mm7025
DAC Fostex HP-A8C
Velodyne optimum 10” sealed, back left corner
Velodyne 8” sealed, front right corner
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Personal listening, Headphones, in ear monitors, DAPs n amps, possibly portable