file Streaming or Dreaming? 6 hours to watch a 42 min show

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 7020
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 1 year 5 months ago
Hey Guys,
I keep upgrading my internet provider and service, got fiber optic service for the second time.
And a funny thing happened a few weeks ago. We bought "ZNation" a Zombie series on dvd, and the quality was HORRIBLE. And from Amazon!!! My daughter found the same series online and suggested we stream it. We did, and it worked!!!! I was shocked, never been able to stream even a song of any length without stops and starts. But we watched 3 episodes of that stupid zombie show and all 3 played seamlessly, worked great. Still the PQ and SQ were horrible as was the show.
SOOOOO
We gave up on that one but found the 8th Season of "Living Dead" which we have been waiting for. Also found "Lethal Weapon Season 2" waiting for this one big time as well.
Both of them play, somewhat, sorta, stop and start. I have found that sometimes I can put it on and let it stream, let it load, whatever it is doing, while we do something else, and sometimes that works, we can watch the show pretty much non-stop. Most times not even. Tonight I did that, and it still took me 6 hours to watch 42 mins of Lethal Weapon, the TV series.
Drove me batty, nuts, entirely crazy!!!!!
So disappointed, back to buying them from America and shipping dvds over here, or Blu rays of the shows we really love.
The final season of Longmire is on the way, for example. Not only costs at least double, but takes a min of 2-3 months.
OH WELL
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, charliehatch, HTSME

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 734
charliehatch Posted 1 year 5 months ago
Wow, Wayne, I can understand your frustration! I gave up on streaming Berlin Philharmonic live because of interruptions, and that server was supposedly located in California (I'm next door in Nevada). Funny, I never had much trouble streaming delayed content from them, but live always crapped out in the middle of the music, which annoyed me to no end.

The optical cable from your provider is only the last link in a very long chain that starts at whatever servers the streaming service is using. One question is whether Neflix streaming works better -- or worse -- than Amazon streaming. That would point to a source server.

Or there could be an intermediary "entity" sampling packets on the way into Thailand, just to make sure you're being good. Wouldn't put it past them. Color me paranoid.

If the streaming service servers are located a considerable distance (and country) away from you, there could be many sources of interruption that could screw things up.

There are a lot of speed test websites out there that can evaluate your speed from an independent server. Some (like my Charter) test from a server not far away. Needless to say, it always tests screaming fast. You might try Speakeasy and see how it measures ( www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ ). But even if that one measures fast, there could still be the entity problem.

Yeah, DVDs just aren't the same as Blu-Ray, are they? Wait until you play with 4k UHD.

Charlie
2.0 System: Passport SSD USB > Auralic Aries G2> USB > DSPeaker Anti-Mode X4 DAC/Pre > Core Power Diamond XLR interconnects > Bel Canto e.One Ref600M monoblocks > Core Power Diamond banana speaker cables > Triton References
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks Bro Charlie.

you said: Yeah, DVDs just aren't the same as Blu-Ray, are they? Wait until you play with 4k UHD.

Are you saying that 4k UHD is that much better than Blu Ray???? Hard to believe, and since I will not now be getting a OPPO 205 as I had planned, and I don't have a 4K TV, I guess it will be a while or maybe even a cold day in Hell before I find out for myself. I am not that impressed in the TV showrooms at all. A LITTLE bit better than my plasma on blu rays perhaps but not that much from what I have seen. Course I am waiting until the latest and greatest comes out over here, I guess now it would have to be HDR WITH DOLBY VISION???? And for the price to then come down to something doable.
AND then to find an all region 4K player.
Meanwhile, I am not convinced AT ALL that 4K UHD discs will make it at all. I think Sony will kill them before they really catch on, it will be streaming I reckon. And that begs the question, I CAN'T EVEN STREAM ANY THING NOW, HOW THE HECK WILL I BE ABLE TO STREAM 4K UHD CONTENT??????????
I fear my movie watching will come crashing down, unless I don't live that long.
As to your other comments, of course I am not using Netflix, Amazon or any such pay service. My YouTube cannot play without stopping, my NFL GAMEPASS, which I do pay for, I have to have my football!!!! Cannot play without stopping, so I am for sure not paying for any other streaming service which I am certain will also not play.
But thanks for feeling my pain.
God Bless,
Wayne

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 734
charliehatch Posted 1 year 5 months ago

WayneWilmeth wrote: But thanks for feeling my pain.

...which is considerable, I see. Too bad about the streaming, maybe my paranoia is justified.

On 4K. It is sharper, as I can move to only about 3 feet from a 65 inch screen before I can see a pixel. Which means you can use a huge screen at normal viewing distances. I'm at 65 inch now (4k), but when I replace this one I'll try to get at least 75, OLED. Maybe bigger if the price point is affordable.

The real kicker with UHD is the high dynamic range. Highlights are intensely bright, and in most movies, that capability is used sparingly. A very realistic thing once you get the set adjusted right, which can take some time. Most dealer showrooms have way too much color and it looks like crap.

Hate to disappoint, but I think 4k UHD is here to stay, at least until something even better comes along. Most new movies are being released in 4k UHD. Even a lot of old movies, which I have found to be a waste of money.

All this said, Blu-Ray still looks very good, so don't feel bad that you don't have 4k UHD.

Charlie
2.0 System: Passport SSD USB > Auralic Aries G2> USB > DSPeaker Anti-Mode X4 DAC/Pre > Core Power Diamond XLR interconnects > Bel Canto e.One Ref600M monoblocks > Core Power Diamond banana speaker cables > Triton References
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 1757
ArthurDaniels Posted 1 year 5 months ago
Guys,

I have a DSL line from CenturyLink. There is no fiber in our neighborhood yet and the outside overhead lines are very old.

The fastest download speed I ever see when I measure is 4.0 Mhz. Yet, I stream flawlessly via ROKU from various on-line sources. We watch videos with no issues.

I have a a NetGear Nighthawk modem designed for DSL. I cannot prove my claim, but I strongly believe that my modem quality is critical to successful streaming online. I am streaming via wireless network over my entire house and we watch videos upstairs and downstairs.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I just did a speed test, because I have time, because I was watching an Astros ball game but my TV by fibre optic LOST ALL SIGNAL!!!!!!

So the speed test said 74, then 93, they were to Chiang Mai, right down the road, I finally got it to try elsewhere and got 33 Mbps.
Have no idea what that means, since I am not downloading anything, and uploading is slower, but I don't upload either.

Bro Charlie, my question about 4K UPD discs is, are anybody buying them? You say you think they are here to stay but we don't get them over here, and nobody is interested. Blu ray is good enough, Heck, nobody over here but me buys Blu Rays either, DVDs are good enough for most people!!!!!

God Bless,
Wayne

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Streaming or Dreaming? 6 hours to watch a 42 min show