file Streaming or Dreaming? 6 hours to watch a 42 min show

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 7020
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 1 year 3 months ago
Hey Bro Art
You said "If I understand correctly, you supposedly have high-speed internet service."
I agree totally!!!! IF I understand correctly, I supposedly have high-sped internet service.
Ha ha, what a joke!!!!!
Course, I am comparing watching a movie/TV show, listening to music compared to on a disc. That is, plays continually, no stops and starts, almost perfect picture and sound.
It cannot do that, therefore IT IS RUBBISH!!!!!
Until such time, I will just shake my head and wonder about all the talk about streaming.
Yes, I asked one friend who said he subscribed to Netflix, and he said it mostly works. He lives in town. Says it stops sometimes but he can watch a show. A friend in The BIG MANGO (Bangkok) says the same thing.
So I think being on the leading edge of chicken raising is NOT the same as being on the leading edge of internet technology in Thailand. We are in the country here, woke up to a millipede crawling on the back of my neck this morning!!!
Taking a wait and see approach here.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, charliehatch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 3880
rjohn79395 Posted 1 year 3 months ago
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
My take: streaming IS a break-out technology that will continue to make inroads in digital disc and other digital provider markets. It offers convenience (can stream Netflix for instance to any internet connected device like smartphones or tablets), and a huge library of audio or video selections. It's already also chewing into the cable tv segment, with folks dropping premium cable channels and installing streamer devices like ROKU.

I have 200 Mbps download cable service here in TX (20 Mbps upload), and can stream any Netflix or Hulu or Youtube content without interruption. And even faster fiber optic service options will be coming here in the next couple years.

I think a rate limiter at the moment is high def, high resolution, multi channel content for audio or video (I can only stream 16 bit FLAC 2 channel music as of now). But with ever expanding bandwidth and download speeds, who knows at what pace multi channel, UHD streaming options will become available....
Wayne, I understand your frustration with this technology with the bumps and starts and delays you're experiencing there. :( Who knows, if your service evolves, you may yet get a chance to dip your toes further into the streaming water!

Happy listening/watching!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2, HTR 7000 top fronts, Invisa 525 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 7010
Amps: AT525NC 5 channel, Parasound 275 v.2 stereo
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, SONOS Connect
47" Panasonic 3D smart tv
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, charliehatch

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 725
charliehatch Posted 1 year 3 months ago

ArthurDaniels wrote:
Case in point for me - I have all of my music now encoded in lossless FLAC files and stored on two different drives. A lot of work initially to convert my many CDs, but now, my entire music collection is literally at my fingertips. I don't buy CDs any more if I can download the music at CD quality or better. If I buy a CD, I immediately rip the music into FLAC files and store the CD away as hard-copy backup.

One of the unhappy results of ever-advancing technology is obsolescence. As technology advances ever more rapidly, the rate of obsolescence also advances. Fun, but a bit scary at the same time.

Exactly what I have done and do, Art. I just hope those flac files don't become obsolete too!

Charlie
2.0 System: Passport SSD USB > Oppo 105D digital out > Blue Jeans 1694A Digital Coax > DSPeaker Anti-Mode X4 DAC/Pre > Audience Au24 SX RCA interconnects > Bel Canto e.One Ref600M monoblocks > Audience Au24 SX banana speaker cables > Triton References
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 1738
ArthurDaniels Posted 1 year 3 months ago
Hi Charlie,

If I understand the technology correctly, Lossless FLAC will not become "obsolete" - just as WAV files are not obsolete.

However, as high definition music becomes more commonplace, newer standards may develop which encompass various "definition" levels.

I stream from software players in my Music PC. Currently, I am using MusiCHI Suite. But, I wonder if a dedicated streaming player would produce a significant improvement in sound quality - no way for me to know unless I could try out a streaming player in my current setup.

One thing I can say is that I do not notice any quality difference between playing FLAC files ripped from my CDs and the CDs themselves. I also do not notice any difference between FLAC files I download from commercial sites, such as Presto Classical Music, and CDs I purchase.

Thus far, I have not encountered any degradation of my existing FLAC files, with respect to the passage of time. Once in a while, I will encounter a flaw in an existing FLAC file which I created - I simply re-rip the file and all is well.

On one recent occasion, I caught a flaw in a FLAC file I downloaded from Presto. I communicated with them and they listened to their original source and confirmed the flaw. They re-recorded the source and provided me a special link to the repaired file, which I downloaded and replaced my original flawed file. I mention this incident to emphasize the ease with which this issue was addressed - much simpler than if I had purchased the CD and that CD had need of replacement.

In my opinion, there are certainly advantages to being able to instantly acquire new music via downloads and to being able to deal with issues that arise.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, charliehatch

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 725
charliehatch Posted 1 year 3 months ago

ArthurDaniels wrote: If I understand the technology correctly, Lossless FLAC will not become "obsolete" - just as WAV files are not obsolete.

However, as high definition music becomes more commonplace, newer standards may develop which encompass various "definition" levels.

That's what I mean. So far, obsolescence has been mostly a matter of changes to media. (Floppy disks to SSD). File structures less so, although some proprietary file formats may not be readable by other and newer software packages.

But there's always the chance that something new and super duper will come along, and nobody will even want to decode flac files. This is a very changeable business, and I would be cautious about using the word "never".

I agree with the rest of what you said. I haven't had any problems with errors yet, but I worry that my master hard drive will develop an error that gets copied to my other two drives. But, like you said, you can always re-rip.

Charlie
2.0 System: Passport SSD USB > Oppo 105D digital out > Blue Jeans 1694A Digital Coax > DSPeaker Anti-Mode X4 DAC/Pre > Audience Au24 SX RCA interconnects > Bel Canto e.One Ref600M monoblocks > Audience Au24 SX banana speaker cables > Triton References
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 7020
WayneWilmeth Posted 1 year 3 months ago
We streamed........
It was the last episode of Season 8 of the Walking Dead.
We wanted to watch it, finish it and then we could get back to watching movies.
Finish the Zombies.
That was our motto.
And we did, we had some good family time together
in the process,
the show was 46 minutes long.
We started it many times, tried to get it to play,
We stopped it and let it load
incrementally, drip by drip, tad by itsy-bitsy tad, creeping, minuscule movement
We got it finished, even though we could not understand what was said without rewinding it at least 50 times, which did not
slow things down because it was supposedly loading.
46 min show, we got it finished in 3 hours and 26 mins!!!!!!
My family are nice people, got to spend some quality time with them.
Parting shot from my daughter leaving the home theater, "Next time we will buy the Blu Ray no matter how long it takes them to make it and get it over here!!!!!!"
Your mileage MUST vary, otherwise there is no way in tarnation that streaming would ever catch on!!!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Streaming or Dreaming? 6 hours to watch a 42 min show