file Streaming or Dreaming? 6 hours to watch a 42 min show

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 7021
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 2 years 4 months ago
P.S.
Brothers Charlie and Art, I also have made digital copies of my CDs to guard against them deteriorating and losing the music.
AND for the advantage of being able to play the FLAC files on the road walking or driving.
That is NOT streaming, has nothing to do with streaming.
I listen to and play albums on my DAP or phone. Straight into my ears on ciems or through car speakers to my ears.
I do NOT scream, I mean stream.
AND IF I play a CD or SACD, DVD_Audio, Blu Ray music, etc. through my wonderful home theater system it is by way of DISC.
The only exception would be a Hi Res DSD file that I have on my DAP which I MIGHT want to play on my system, then I just connect my DAP to my Pre-processor and push play.
That is extremely rare though, as it cannot play multi channel, so pretty much a NO GO for me.
Just explaining,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 1790
ArthurDaniels Posted 2 years 4 months ago
Hi Wayne,

Your streaming experience is truly awful. You have more patience than I would ever exhibit -- if watching video over the internet were anything remotely approaching your experience, I would never bother to attempt to do so.

My DSL 4.0 Megabits Per Second download service has never been anywhere as unstable as what you describe. And, I have been able to improve it by using ROKU devices and upgrading to my Netgear Nighthawk Modem. Currently, I have three TVs, each with its own ROKU device wirelessly connected to my network. We subscribe to ACORN TV which we access via the ROKU devices. We watch British Mystery Shows 3-5 nights a week and almost never experience any streaming interruptions.

I believe your internet provider is the root of your problem.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 4160
rjohn79395 Posted 2 years 4 months ago
Man, Wayne

I'm with Art. There's something weird going on with what your service provider is giving you. You said you have fiber optic service. That is SUPPOSED to be the cleanest, fastest way to deliver content. Maybe you've said already, but what is your THEORETICAL, advertised download speed? Art gets along fine with 4 Mbps. I do very well with 200 Mbps no matter how many devices are using bandwidth at the same time. Have you run actual speed tests? If your devices are constantly buffering, waiting for the downloaded file size to catch up with the play speed, that does not sound remotely like fiber optic service!!! Is it possible that some portion of the feed stream inside the house is a rate limiter, like a bad connection???? I've had bad cable connections disrupt things before.

I know you're not bashful about getting what you deserve... what does your service provider have to say???? Years ago, after complaining repeatedly about HD tv pictures "tiling", I.E. not getting data fast enough to fill in the picture all the time, they finally came and installed a larger gauge cable feeder line to the house and that fixed the problem.

There's hopefully an answer somewhere. Fiber optic feeds and buffering/waiting does not equate! :(

You're a clever rascal. There's an answer somewhere. (Then again, I'm thinking/analyzing with U.S. resources in mind). :dry:

Hate to see you frustrated, streaming basic tv programming should be a piece of cake!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2, HTR 7000 top fronts, Invisa 525 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 7010
Amps: AT525NC 5 channel, Parasound 275 v.2 stereo
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i
47" Panasonic 3D smart tv
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 826
charliehatch Posted 2 years 4 months ago
Wayne, a really bad situation. My internet is amazingly stable with streaming.

If you are the only one having this problem, then I'd look to something wrong with your equipment, like router, modem, streamer box, whatever.

If others have the same problem, then it's either your provider or something farther upstream.

Charlie
PS Audio P20 feeds all components of 2.0 System: Auralic Aries G2> Coax > DSPeaker Anti-Mode X4 DAC/Pre > Core Power Diamond XLR interconnects > Bel Canto e.One Ref600M monoblocks > Core Power Diamond banana speaker cables > Triton References > IsoAcoustics Gaia II isolators
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 4160
rjohn79395 Posted 2 years 4 months ago
Charlie makes good points

Wayne, are you streaming the tv programs directly, wire connected from your modem, or wirelessly via your router?

Either could be a culprit also.. Modems need to be speed capable with delivered speed rates, routers the same.

Ah, the joys of ever changing technology :P

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2, HTR 7000 top fronts, Invisa 525 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 7010
Amps: AT525NC 5 channel, Parasound 275 v.2 stereo
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i
47" Panasonic 3D smart tv
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 7021
WayneWilmeth Posted 2 years 4 months ago
Thanks gentlemen for you concern, commiserations and input.
I admit to not knowing much of anything about this stuff, as you will see if you read on.
I have recently changed to my third internet provider in about 4 years. Because whatever service I get is CRAP!!!!!
This is the second fiber optic one, and I am paying for 100 Mbps. And 30 MB download or something.
When I run a speed test it defaults to a relatively nearby location and I can sometimes get 99 Mbps. But if I force it to go just a little further afield, I get around 33 Mbps.
I have fiber optic into my home, I had to pay extra for them to run it from the main road, a bit more than a block away. Once it goes through some box, it goes to a modem/router and from there I am hard wired, lan line to my laptop computer. From my laptop it is HDMI cables to my TV (not using ANY streaming tech inside the TV) and to my XMC-1 pre processor for sound. I have been describing TRYING to watch TV shows stream on the internet on my laptop.

Back to streaming: My internet is also slow to dreadfully slow. Should I try another router? This is a new router, previously I had two routers doing the same job, they were slow to dreadfully slow. So I was not surprised much when I got this one and it is too.
I will be happy to try any suggestions, but I am just putting this down to trying to keep up with you Joneses in the real world while I live in the boonies in Thailand.

I know I am complaining loudly here, but my problem is this: Seems everyone is happy to jump on a new technology for convenience sake and leave the old, much superior technology behind and NOBODY is giving any pushback!!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Streaming or Dreaming? 6 hours to watch a 42 min show