file Streaming or Dreaming? 6 hours to watch a 42 min show

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 7021
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 2 years 4 months ago
Thanks gentlemen for you concern, commiserations and input.
I admit to not knowing much of anything about this stuff, as you will see if you read on.
I have recently changed to my third internet provider in about 4 years. Because whatever service I get is CRAP!!!!!
This is the second fiber optic one, and I am paying for 100 Mbps. And 30 MB download or something.
When I run a speed test it defaults to a relatively nearby location and I can sometimes get 99 Mbps. But if I force it to go just a little further afield, I get around 33 Mbps.
I have fiber optic into my home, I had to pay extra for them to run it from the main road, a bit more than a block away. Once it goes through some box, it goes to a modem/router and from there I am hard wired, lan line to my laptop computer. From my laptop it is HDMI cables to my TV (not using ANY streaming tech inside the TV) and to my XMC-1 pre processor for sound. I have been describing TRYING to watch TV shows stream on the internet on my laptop.
*I have another connection to a TV box, not connected and not part of the streaming problem, it is also getting a signal from the fiber optic cable and this is taking the place of my satellite TV, supposed to be WAY better. However, when a storm comes I can lose signal on it just the same as a few months ago with my satellite dish. This is a problem, is from the same company, but NOT related to, not what I am complaining of about the streaming, it basically works.*
Back to streaming: My internet is also slow to dreadfully slow. Should I try another router? This is a new router, previously I had two routers doing the same job, they were slow to dreadfully slow. So I was not surprised much when I got this one and it is too.
I will be happy to try any suggestions, but I am just putting this down to trying to keep up with you Joneses in the real world while I live in the boonies in Thailand.

I know I am complaining loudly here, but my problem is this: Seems everyone is happy to jump on a new technology for convenience sake and leave the old, much superior technology behind and NOBODY is giving any pushback!!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 1790
ArthurDaniels Posted 2 years 4 months ago
Hi Wayne,

Do you know someone in your area who has a satisfactory setup? Specifically, someone who is happy with their internet situation and, especially, someone who is successfully streaming video, etc.

If so, you might consider asking that person to come over and take a comprehensive look at your setup -- with the hope that they can suggest where your specific problems might lie.

Alternatively, before you spend more money, perhaps there are professional services available to help you untangle and correct your internet problems -- assuming that your problems are unique to your situation and not endemic to your entire area , etc.

Good luck.

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks Bro Art, but No and No.
I don't know anyone in my area that even knows what streaming is.
Only my Brother in law knows what the internet is.
What two or three that have seen my home theater look at me like I am from Mars!!!!
Thanks,
God Bless,
Wayne

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 826
charliehatch Posted 2 years 4 months ago

WayneWilmeth wrote: When I run a speed test it defaults to a relatively nearby location and I can sometimes get 99 Mbps. But if I force it to go just a little further afield, I get around 33 Mbps.

Wayne, do you ALWAYS get at least 33 Mbps doing a speed test? That is plenty fast enough for streaming. If you DO get minimum 33, then that points to a problem in your system somewhere.

Once it goes through some box, it goes to a modem/router and from there I am hard wired, lan line to my laptop computer. From my laptop it is HDMI cables to my TV (not using ANY streaming tech inside the TV) and to my XMC-1 pre processor for sound. I have been describing TRYING to watch TV shows stream on the internet on my laptop.

The "some box" is confusing. Is this an outside junction box? As long as the connections are tight, that shouldn't be a problem. If the connections are loose, you could get intermittent connection. This is Thailand, where humidity and rain are plentiful, right? Are the connections well protected from rain?

Even with a hard wired connection to your laptop, the router could cause problems, but if you have replaced the router, that seems unlikely. Those things can be very complicated under the hood, but default settings should work ok.

Back to streaming: My internet is also slow to dreadfully slow. Should I try another router? This is a new router, previously I had two routers doing the same job, they were slow to dreadfully slow. So I was not surprised much when I got this one and it is too.

I'm beginning to wonder if your problem is software related in your computer. Especially if you ALWAYS get a minimum of 33 Mbps speed test. When you are actually streaming content, there may be interrupts being generated because of software problems.

Charlie
PS Audio P20 feeds all components of 2.0 System: Auralic Aries G2> Coax > DSPeaker Anti-Mode X4 DAC/Pre > Core Power Diamond XLR interconnects > Bel Canto e.One Ref600M monoblocks > Core Power Diamond banana speaker cables > Triton References > IsoAcoustics Gaia II isolators

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Bro Charlie,
I just did it again, and with it only testing to less than 4 hr drive away, Chiang Mai, I get 95 download and 35 upload.
Should be WAY fast enough for great streaming, I woulda thought.
The Fiber optic cable comes right on in the house, no box outside at all, the small fiber optic box inside under the stairs is outta the weather totally. The cable goes from it to my router. From that brand new router (and works no better than the last ones I have not enjoyed) by lan line to my computer.
The internet is slow on this laptop, it was slow on my previous laptop, when I call and complain they say maybe there are too many people online at the same time. Well, there are 3 of us at my house online. Not sure who all elsewhere.
One thing I forgot to mention, the teenagers all around Thailand have sure caught on to gaming online!!!! Hundreds probably playing right now.
BUT my test numbers suggest to me (unless I misunderstand) there are not too many online with me to make things slow down.
??????
I am at a loss.
God Bless,
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 4160
rjohn79395 Posted 2 years 4 months ago
Hi, Wayne

This may be way out in left field. I recall that on other threads, Currently Playing maybe, you have described playing YouTube music A/V's on your HT system/tv. Did those feeds play OK, or buffer constantly also? It sounds from your description of your LAN set-up that the feed stream for the tv and the XMC-1 (HDMI) also route through that same laptop.

As you said, both steaming A/V and internet speeds give you problems on your laptop....if direct HDMI feeds to the tv and XMC-1 can pass THROUGH the laptop OK, and the laptop itself gives problems on either internet or streaming activities, then maybe the problem is in the laptop's processing software?????

Just thinking, wondering. 33 Mbps should be plenty of speed for streaming, internet activities.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2, HTR 7000 top fronts, Invisa 525 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 7010
Amps: AT525NC 5 channel, Parasound 275 v.2 stereo
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i
47" Panasonic 3D smart tv
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Streaming or Dreaming? 6 hours to watch a 42 min show