file Streaming or Dreaming? 6 hours to watch a 42 min show

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 7021
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 2 years 4 months ago
Thanks Bro Rick,
My laptop is pretty up to date and powerful.
I feel that the fact that my wife and daughter both complain about how dang slow our internet is means it is not just my laptop.
BUT they do watch TV shows all the time through the internet. With much less problems, there is no doubt that the free service we were trying to use to watch those shows was greatly at fault.
For instance, as you said, for the most part the YouTube music videos we share, can mostly play, hardly ever a glitch in them, other than that Bro Anthems' 95% just won't play at all.
But my NFL Gamepass can largely play. It only stops a few times during a game, and especially during important ones like the Super Bowl, when I have friends over to watch the game!!!!!
So I think that source has a lot to do with it.

Again,does anybody get my MAIN POINT??? Wish we could push back against streaming taking over discs!!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 4160
rjohn79395 Posted 2 years 4 months ago
Got it!

And the RATE of technology change is projected to keep climbing. :whistle:

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2, HTR 7000 top fronts, Invisa 525 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 7010
Amps: AT525NC 5 channel, Parasound 275 v.2 stereo
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i
47" Panasonic 3D smart tv
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 1790
ArthurDaniels Posted 2 years 4 months ago
Wayne,

For your consideration:

1. Do you have a separate streaming device, such as a ROKU? I have three ROKU devices - one connected to each TV. Each one uses my wireless network to access video streaming sources (ACORN TV, PBS.org, etc.) and stream video and audio directly to the TV to which the ROKU is connected. I use the ROKU Remote and the TV Remote to watch streamed video - no other device controls are involved.

If you have this type of device and can use it in the same manner, then what results do you get with streaming? If streaming is good, then your fiber connections are OK and your modem/router is OK. If streaming is not good, perhaps you can experiment with settings or connections to isolate the problem. If you can do so, you could connect your modem/router directly to the incoming fiber optic line, bypassing the distribution box, then see what happens.

If you have eliminated the fiber and modem/router as the problem, then you must consider what is left (computer, etc.).

2. Do you have a DVD/CD player which will connect wirelessly to your TV through your network? If so, can you stream audio/video directly from the player to the TV, via your network? How does it stream? Interruptions? This test would potentially eliminate or confirm the entire internet chain as the source of your problem.

Rick, Charlie, et al -- please chime in here if any of my suggested analysis ideas are not appropriate or not correct.

In the absence of readily-available experienced help, you probably will need to become the expert in your area.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thank you Bro Art, I appreciate your grasping for straws for me.
But I don't think you catch how basic my setup is. I do not have Roku or any other streaming device.
So far as I know, which I really don't! Fiber optic requires a box to receive the optical signal and convert it to usable data/connections.
That box is connected to my router and my router by wi fi for my wife, daughter and I for tablets and phones around the house; by lan lines to my laptop and XMC-1 (only for the remote control via network).
I don't have any wireless connections to CD or DVD players. I do have 3 DVD players, two of which are OPPO so can play all formats of discs, and a tubed CD player. I can play DISCS around here.
And my TV, though it is supposed to be a "smart" TV is NOT connected to the network.
My laptop sits behind my 64 inch Sammy and hides back there all the time. The HDMI out connects to the XMC-1, then from there to the TV and I have a 64 inch screen for my computer. I have a wireless rollerball mouse sitting on the sofa arm beside me and a full size wireless keyboard on my lap. So everything on my laptop is on my TV and I can see it!!!!
My set top TV box is connected to the XMC-1 by HDMI as well, so I can select anything I want to see and hear (OPPO, CD, DVD) by remote and display through my TV and play through my 7.5 surround sound system.
Hope this helps,
God Bless,
Wayne

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 826
charliehatch Posted 2 years 4 months ago

WayneWilmeth wrote: That box is connected to my router and my router by wi fi for my wife, daughter and I for tablets and phones around the house; by lan lines to my laptop and XMC-1 (only for the remote control via network).

And my TV, though it is supposed to be a "smart" TV is NOT connected to the network.

Wayne, a couple of ideas to try.

Test #1:

All the devices on your wireless (and wired) networks might be hogging so much bandwidth that you can't get uninterrupted streaming. Try shutting down all the other devices except your laptop and see if that solves your streaming problem. If it doesn't, then...

Test # 2:

My Samsung smart TV has built in Netflix and YouTube streaming apps that I use. Disconnect your LAN connection from your computer and connect it temporarily to your TV. Then set up the streaming apps for your accounts and see if the TV will stream without interruption. If it does, then the problem may be in your computer.

Charlie
PS Audio P20 feeds all components of 2.0 System: Auralic Aries G2> Coax > DSPeaker Anti-Mode X4 DAC/Pre > Core Power Diamond XLR interconnects > Bel Canto e.One Ref600M monoblocks > Core Power Diamond banana speaker cables > Triton References > IsoAcoustics Gaia II isolators
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Bro Charlie,
I do appreciate your help.
I can try test 1, I just streamed Lethal Weapon 2 successfully tonight, and there was only my wife on her iPad on at the same time I was, so that MIGHT be part of the reason it went well. I can try kicking everyone else off and trying again, if they do not mutiny.
Test 2, I am not getting you, I do not have a Netflix or YouTube app, and am not about to pay for and set them up on my TV or anywhere else.
WHICH might be a clue to part of my problem, I am trying to stream free stuff.
And everyone knows you gets what you pay for!!!!!

Thanks, will stay on it.
God Bless,
Wayne

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Streaming or Dreaming? 6 hours to watch a 42 min show