file Streaming or Dreaming? 6 hours to watch a 42 min show

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 7020
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 1 year 2 months ago
And then, after missing all the Astros game, could not even get a TV signal, out of frustration I did 2 hard reboots of the TV box, and got TV back. Then tried streaming Lethal Weapon 2 the next episode again, and this time the 42 min show played straight through, no breaks to load at all.
Go Figure!!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 725
charliehatch Posted 1 year 2 months ago

WayneWilmeth wrote: I finally got it to try elsewhere and got 33 Mbps.
Have no idea what that means, since I am not downloading anything, and uploading is slower, but I don't upload either.

Bro Charlie, my question about 4K UPD discs is, are anybody buying them? You say you think they are here to stay but we don't get them over here, and nobody is interested. Blu ray is good enough, Heck, nobody over here but me buys Blu Rays either, DVDs are good enough for most people!!!!!

These speed test guys send your machine some data and measure how fast you can get it. Then a little app in your computer uploads data and they measure that. 33 Mbps means 33 megabits per second. That's a pretty typical download speed for a good retail connection with one channel. I have a multi-channel modem and Charter lets me use two channels, and I typically get around 64 Mbps, or two times 32. My upload speeds (which I don't remember) are around one tenth of the download speed. The provider throttles upload speed to minimize bandwidth. The thinking is that people are mostly sending iP addresses and the like for web pages, but that kinda sucks if you're trying to send Uncle Nemo a 60 MB file.

Sounds like your problem may be in your TV? Or a connection box at your end?

On 4K UHD, I don't know the industry numbers, but I can tell you that I'm buying them. They are more expensive, like Blu-Ray was when it first came out, so it will take time to really take off. It took Blu-Ray a while too.

Charlie
2.0 System: Passport SSD USB > Oppo 105D digital out > Blue Jeans 1694A Digital Coax > DSPeaker Anti-Mode X4 DAC/Pre > Audience Au24 SX RCA interconnects > Bel Canto e.One Ref600M monoblocks > Audience Au24 SX banana speaker cables > Triton References
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 725
charliehatch Posted 1 year 2 months ago
Wayne, you piqued my curiosity about 4K disc sales. I did a quick look around and found an industry article on Variety.

It turns out that ALL disc sales have been falling (both Blu-Ray and 4K). Not because 4K isn't worth it, but because everybody is switching to streaming. A couple of months ago I was streaming 4K Ultra on Amazon, and the quality was pretty good (video quality, that is, sound is no doubt ho hum). Then, just when I was getting into streaming that stuff, Amazon switched it out of Prime, so you have to pay extra to watch 4K. No thanks. I spend too much money on subscription stuff as it is.

So I'll keep looking at movies (both streaming and Blu-Ray)and buy the 4K discs when I see something I really like.

Eventually, we'll all be streaming...

Charlie
2.0 System: Passport SSD USB > Oppo 105D digital out > Blue Jeans 1694A Digital Coax > DSPeaker Anti-Mode X4 DAC/Pre > Audience Au24 SX RCA interconnects > Bel Canto e.One Ref600M monoblocks > Audience Au24 SX banana speaker cables > Triton References

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 1738
ArthurDaniels Posted 1 year 2 months ago
Charlie and Wayne,

The capability to stream acceptable quality audio and video is probably threatening the entire "traditional" recording industry business model. Just a few years ago, CDs were the best way to hear high quality (compared to noisy LPs and AM/FM radio) music. Then, along came computerized technology to permit storage of high-quality music files and streaming those files without loss of fidelity.

Case in point for me - I have all of my music now encoded in lossless FLAC files and stored on two different drives. A lot of work initially to convert my many CDs, but now, my entire music collection is literally at my fingertips. I don't buy CDs any more if I can download the music at CD quality or better. If I buy a CD, I immediately rip the music into FLAC files and store the CD away as hard-copy backup.

Sheryl and I enjoy watching movies and certain TV-based programs, but we have almost no interest in watching the same show again, so streaming is perfect for us. We watch a DVD, then loan it or give it to our friends.

HD radio is adding another dimension and option to the mix.

One of the unhappy results of ever-advancing technology is obsolescence. As technology advances ever more rapidly, the rate of obsolescence also advances. Fun, but a bit scary at the same time.

Happy listening and watching,

Art

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 7020
WayneWilmeth Posted 1 year 2 months ago
Thanks Guys,
That is what I am saying, what I am thinking and others are predicting. I seriously doubt discs have much of a life span and 4K discs most of all, I don't think they will catch on AT ALL And I THINK (what do I know?) that is why the demise of OPPO players, they can see the writing on the wall, you don't need disc players when nobody buys/plays discs. Even Bro Art does not play discs anymore.

SO, IF I am not totally wrong and I would LOVE to be totally wrong above, it looks like we will all be streaming. And to my point in this thread, I fear I will be SOL for watching movies after a coupla more years.
STREAM a MOVIE when I cannot even stream successfully a 3 min YouTube song, or a TV show????? Are you telling me to buy a 4k UHD TV because streaming 4K is gonna have superb picture quality???????? Maybe for you guys in the USA, but around the world, I don't see it happening, or not soon. We just got digital TV for pities sake.

Oh well, there are much larger problems in the world.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 1738
ArthurDaniels Posted 1 year 2 months ago
Hi Wayne,

If I understand correctly, you supposedly have high-speed internet service. My daughter and family have very high-speed internet service in Raleigh, NC because my son-in-law needs that capability as part of his work. However, they experience interruptions occasionally when streaming video.

But, for whatever reason, my DSL 4.0 Meg download speed is adequate to stream video and we almost never experience interruptions during streaming activities. My guess is that there are issues with my daughter's provider that don't have anything to do with download speed and that I simply don't have those issues with my provider.

I can't see any other reason for the relative reliability of my experience versus her experience. Have you made inquiries in your area to see what other folks' experience is?

Best,

Art

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Streaming or Dreaming? 6 hours to watch a 42 min show