file Some News From Johnson City Tennessee

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 1757
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
ArthurDaniels Posted 1 year 1 month ago
Hi Wayne, Rick, Anthem, Charlie, et al:

After having lived for almost 22 years in Johnson City, TN, we may be moving to Raleigh, NC. The house next door to our daughter's house in Raleigh is going to go up for sale when the present owners relocate to be with their grandchildren. These folks are good friends with my daughter and have become good friends of ours over the years when we have visited our daughter.

Just like these folks, we would be relocating to spend our remaining years with our daughter and her family, which includes our only grandchild.

There are a number things yet to be settled before we can make the final decision, but, if everything can be worked out, it is likely that we will buy their house and move sometime in early-mid 2019.

Our grandson is 14.5 years old now and a freshman in high school, so there are not too many years left before he goes to college and strikes out on his own. Our daughter is conscious of our ages and wants us to be nearby in case we need some help as time goes along.

The thought of downsizing and a move after being settled for 22 years is certainly a daunting one, but this opportunity may be too good to ignore.

We'll see.

I'll update this post as the situation develops. The next step in the process will not take place until mid-November or later.

Happy listening to all,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395, charliehatch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 7020
WayneWilmeth Posted 1 year 1 month ago
Good for you Art, probably GREAT for you and Sheryl!!!
Family is so important.
For most people, well actually I feel they are important too, but in another way, important to stay a good distance from, at least one ocean between us does the job, ha ha.
BUT you did not tell us what room is there for your speakers, your sound system?????
Pls keep us informed and good for you guys!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395, charliehatch

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 7950
anthem Posted 1 year 1 month ago
Hi Art:
My father went through somewhat of a similar situation as yours. For the past 50 years he's been living in Mountain Home Arkansas. He's 87 and has outlived 2 wives. He has zero health problems and takes no medications. My sister and her husband who live in southern Oklahoma, offered him the idea of living with them, with his own room and no more cooking, cleaning, lawn mowing, laundry, grocery shopping, etc.. He accepted. He put the house up for sale the first part of June. The real estate agent who handled the house sale also goes to the same church as my him.The agent gave dad a price on the house, and dad told him to lower the price $10k. Now the interesting part...within 24 hrs the house sold. They closed at the end of June, and he moved July 7th to Oklahoma. He wrote the wife and I a letter and said he absolutely loves it ...it's like a whole new life. No lawn mowing, laundry, this, that, and the other. It's as though he's died and gone to Heaven.

Wishing you and Sheryl All The Best in whatever decision you make, and may you have a similar experience as Dad's.
Decware Zen Torii mk4 > McIntosh MC152 > Emotiva xpa1 Mono's > Anthem Statement P2 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Morrow Audio > Oppo 205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, charliehatch

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi Wayne,

We are fortunate to have this potential opportunity to consider, notwithstanding the daunting thoughts which accompany the idea of downsizing and moving.

I have been working with the present owner of the house in Raleigh to determine how we would prepare for a move into a smaller house. He has graciously provided a floor plan, which I have converted into a scale drawing using Excel. With this scale floor plan, we have been planning furniture placement in each room.

The 19' by 13' "bonus room" upstairs would be our "media room". By gracious permission of my lovely bride, I have been granted essentially full control of the placement of all items in this room. While this room is not as large as our present "media room", it is similarly shaped and does present a satisfactory placement for our GE speakers and for my PLP. I would have an equilateral triangle with 9 foot sides for my front Triton Ones and my PLP. My Triton Sevens would continue their role as side surrounds and my SuperSat 3Cs would be placed in the rear on top of 6 foot high bookcases to serve as Rear Surrounds. There are optional placement opportunities for my two external subs and, possibly, for other speakers if I decide to try to implement a separate AV sound system.

There would also be another, less sophisticated, AV setup in the downstairs den, using other gear I already have.

In any event, the focus in the bonus room would be for listening to music . Any needed compromises would favor music over AV.

If we move to Raleigh, I will be about 5 miles from "Audio Advice" (the AV emporium from whom I purchased my Triton Ones). Who knows what might transpire as the future unfolds.

Happy listening,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, charliehatch

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi Anthem,

We have been to Mountain Home during one of my job-hunting expeditions many years ago. It is a lovely place. But, as I prepare to turn 77 in about 6 weeks, I can understand your Dad's decision to accept the offer from your sister.

The Raleigh house sits on a much smaller plot, so lawn care would be considerably less onerous. I have already found two different options for daily golf and, with somewhat warmer weather in Raleigh as compared to Johnson City, I would be able to play more days during the year.

Living costs in general are higher in Raleigh than in Johnson City, including real estate. The location in Raleigh we are considering is very desirable and contributes to significantly higher real estate values. We may not be able to put an aggressive price on our home in Johnson City, depending upon what can be worked out with regard to price and terms for the Raleigh house.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 3918
rjohn79395 Posted 1 year 1 month ago
Hey, Art

It sounds like you are working on a great plan for you and Sheryl!

Being close to family, downsizing to make things easier, access to lots of golf, and close to Audio Advice....

We ended up in TX as our primary residence after I had retired, and our younger son moved there. Have loved it.

Wishing you all the best!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2, HTR 7000 top fronts, Invisa 525 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 7010
Amps: AT525NC 5 channel, Parasound 275 v.2 stereo
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, SONOS Connect
47" Panasonic 3D smart tv
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Some News From Johnson City Tennessee