file Some News From Johnson City Tennessee

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 1757
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
ArthurDaniels Posted 8 months 3 weeks ago
An Update Upon Relocation Progress:

Things are "moving" more slowly than originally anticipated. Sorting through our possessions for the purpose of moving only the things we want to keep is taking more time than expected. We are traveling back and forth between Raleigh and Johnson City every other weekend, carrying a van load of items we do not want the movers to handle.

The pre-move renovations we are implementing in the Raleigh house are nearly finished. Once completed, we can more easily begin to move and store boxes in the garage in Raleigh.

We have moved enough furniture, dishes, etc. to allow us to stay comfortably in the house when we are in Raleigh. I moved my Triton Sevens, my Klipsch 12" sub and my Cambridge AV Receiver to Raleigh so that I could begin to experiment with sound options in my upstairs Bonus Room . One interesting discovery is how different the sound is in that room from what I had become accustomed to in my ground-level listening room in Johnson City. The most striking difference is how the bass sounds when propagated through the floor in the upstairs Bonus Room as compared to the tile-on-slab floor in Johnson City. Another interesting effect is applied by the slanted ceilings in the Bonus Room.

I am looking forward to the day that I have my Triton Ones in Raleigh.

We will continue our sorting quest until we believe we have reached a proper stopping point. My best guess now is that we will complete the move by the end of May. We will probably list the house in Johnson City at the end of April.

We knew that moving at our age would be a major undertaking, but neither one of us realized how stressful it might be and we are taking the steps we hope will lessen the stress as much as possible.

I have not played golf in over two months and will not likely play again until we have relocated. But, I can listen to my music and have morning coffee with my beautiful bride in either house, so all is as well as can be.

Happy listening to all,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395, charliehatch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 738
charliehatch Posted 8 months 3 weeks ago
Art, it sounds like you're making good progress. I think you'll have a great time dialing in that room up there. Should be fun. Keep us posted!

Charlie
2.0 System: Passport SSD USB > Auralic Aries G2> USB > DSPeaker Anti-Mode X4 DAC/Pre > Core Power Diamond XLR interconnects > Bel Canto e.One Ref600M monoblocks > Core Power Diamond banana speaker cables > Triton References
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 3936
rjohn79395 Posted 8 months 3 weeks ago
Keep at it, Art!

You and your bride will soon enough be settled in your new digs. Do it at your pace! Moving can be a pain for a bit, but worth it when you get there .

Interesting re your comments about the difference in sound in your new Bonus Room. Tell us more after you get moved in with the T1's in place also.

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2, HTR 7000 top fronts, Invisa 525 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 7010
Amps: AT525NC 5 channel, Parasound 275 v.2 stereo
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i
47" Panasonic 3D smart tv

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
ArthurDaniels Posted 8 months 3 weeks ago
Hi Rick,

Yes, when I set up my Triton Sevens and the Klipsch sub, I was surprised at the difference in sound. What;s more, I think I prefer the sound in the new room. The room is about as different from my Johnson City room as could be. The room is 15 feet wide and 27 feet long, is upstairs, has fully carpeted floor and has sloping walls along the 27 foot sides.

The walls are vertical for about 4.5 feet, then begin an inward and upward slope to reach the 8 foot ceiling. The slope is essentially an isosceles triangle. The sloped upper wall meets the ceiling 3.5 feet out from the wall on each side of the room, leaving an 8 foot expanse in the middle of the room at full room height. Apparently the sloping walls act as baffles.

I have the Sevens placed along one long wall about a foot out from the wall and we sit along the opposite long wall, so the speakers are under one of the sloping upper walls and we sit under the other sloping upper wall.

The Ones are taller so they will probably sound different from the Sevens in the same locations. Because of how we will use the room, the only practical arrangement is to spread out along the long walls, rather than place the speakers at the end of the room.

I'll provide more about the sound when I finally move the Ones into the room.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, charliehatch

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 738
charliehatch Posted 8 months 3 weeks ago
Art,

My ceiling is sloped from 8 ft in front to 12 ft on the rear wall. Because of that I don't think I have the usual vertical modes in the room, and I'll bet yours is similar. That said, I suspect there are oblique modes formed on that slanted ceiling, but I can't find any calculators that can tell me where they are. My room is generally well behaved.

I think your slants will tend to reduce the amplitude of the wall-to-wall modes too, so you may end up having a really great sounding room.

Charlie
2.0 System: Passport SSD USB > Auralic Aries G2> USB > DSPeaker Anti-Mode X4 DAC/Pre > Core Power Diamond XLR interconnects > Bel Canto e.One Ref600M monoblocks > Core Power Diamond banana speaker cables > Triton References
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
ArthurDaniels Posted 8 months 2 weeks ago
Last edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by ArthurDaniels. Reason: Spelling info_outline
Hi Charlie,

We are in Raleigh for a few days. During our stay I am continuing to experiment with speaker placement in my Bonus Room. Currently, I have the two Triton Sevens about 25 feet apart with the Klipsch sub midway between them and my PLP directly across the room from the sub and about 13 feet away. I am sitting under one of the slopes and the speakers are under the other slope.

I have never before had the opportunity to sample music with such wide speaker spacing and I do understand that such spacing is not recommended.. With this wide spacing, there does seem to be a bit of a "hole" in the center, but I have just begun to listen. I like the overall room arrangement because we see nothing but woods when we sit and look out of the window.

When I move my One over here, I will experiment with a "wall of sound" approach by putting the Ones where the Sevens are now and moving the Sevens in to about 16 feet apart.

Overall, I am continuing to prefer the sound in this room to the sound in my Johnson City room.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, charliehatch

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Some News From Johnson City Tennessee