file Some News From Johnson City Tennessee

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 735
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
charliehatch Posted 8 months 1 week ago
Yes, that's pretty wide. I've never gone that far; right now, I'm in an equilateral triangle setup, which provides superb imaging with the tradeoff being a narrow sweet spot. But I'll take the imaging, thank you.

I'm curious about your "hole" and what that sounds like.

With my setup, there is a natural interference pattern that sets up because of the spacing between my ears and the speaker placement. At around 1.9 kHz, a mono wave from the left speaker arrives at my right ear out of phase with the wave from the right speaker and causes a mild dropout. Same for the right speaker and left ear. This causes the sound to be a bit warmer sounding. I can hear it clearly if I play correlated (mono) white or pink noise and move my head left and right.

You may also get some effect from that wall behind you.

Rooms and setups can be very interesting!

Charlie
2.0 System: Passport SSD USB > Auralic Aries G2> USB > DSPeaker Anti-Mode X4 DAC/Pre > Core Power Diamond XLR interconnects > Bel Canto e.One Ref600M monoblocks > Core Power Diamond banana speaker cables > Triton References

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 1757
ArthurDaniels Posted 8 months 1 week ago
Hi Charlie,

Perhaps the term "hole" is not the most descriptive of what I am experiencing with my new "wide sound" setup. Perhaps a better description would be that, for some recordings, the sound doesn't quite come together in the middle - no doubt because of the space between the speakers.

Right now I am listening to a recording of the "Vespers of 1610", composed by Claudio Monteverdi. The imaging is surprisingly realistic with the soloists right in front of me and the chorus and instruments scattered across the sound stage.

When I first listened to this wide spacing, I noticed new sound differences, but as I continue to listen and after making slight speaker toe-in adjustments, I am beginning to like this setup. More listening is in order.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, charliehatch

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks, Art. Other than the interference pattern I've described, I can't say I've heard anything like that.

If I had room to do this, I'd be tempted to try it.

Charlie
2.0 System: Passport SSD USB > Auralic Aries G2> USB > DSPeaker Anti-Mode X4 DAC/Pre > Core Power Diamond XLR interconnects > Bel Canto e.One Ref600M monoblocks > Core Power Diamond banana speaker cables > Triton References

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Last edit: 8 months 1 week ago by ArthurDaniels. info_outline
Hi Charlie,

The more I listen to this wide sound stage, the more intrigued I have become. I can compare it to being center stage and down front in an orchestra hall as opposed to being center stage and back in the middle of the hall. My first impressions were that the stage was too wide, but now I am noticing a depth to the center stage sound that I have not previously experienced with speakers closer together.

I am really looking forward to moving my Triton Ones to the Raleigh room and placing them in this wide spacing. I'll have to wait another couple of months for this experience.

Meanwhile, I'll enjoy my Sevens during the times when we are here in Raleigh as we complete our transition.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: charliehatch

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Last edit: 8 months 1 week ago by ArthurDaniels. Reason: Spelling info_outline
Hi Charlie and Everybody,

We are now back in Johnson City, after spending 6 days at our Raleigh home. After experiencing the sound of my Sevens in Raleigh, spaced very wide apart and with the other characteristics of my Bonus Room in play, last night I fired up my "A" system in Johnson City to listen to some music.

I was surprised and disappointed at how uninspiring my Johnson City system now sounded to me - even though it is the system with my Triton Ones and my Cambridge dedicated stereo amp. Missing was the "living presence" of the sound I had been enjoying in Raleigh. Also missing was the deep and tuneful bass of my Raleigh system - even though my Raleigh system uses only my Sevens and a separate Klipsch Sub.

Recalling our recent discussion in Danalex's thread about Triton One Bass response, I quickly concluded that my Johnson City setup just wasn't as good as my Raleigh setup. Most notable would be the tile on slab floor in Johnson City and the essentially center-room location of my PLP in Johnson City.

So, to test my theory, I disconnected my Ones. I then placed my SuperSat 3Cs on shelves at ear height. I elevated my Paradigm Sub by placing it on a dolly. I connected my 3Cs to the Cambridge as my Fronts. I connected the Record Line Out from my Cambridge to a Sony 5.1 Receiver Line Input, then connected the Sub Pre Out from the Sony to my Paradigm LFE Input.

This arrangement allows me to independently control the Paradigm volume level to match the volume level in play for the 3Cs.

This arrangement sounds at least as good as my Ones sounded. So, I have decided to leave this arrangement in place in Johnson City until we complete our move to Raleigh. On our next trip to Raleigh mid next week, I will transport my Ones to Raleigh and have the fun of setting them up in my Bonus Room. I am expecting even better Bonus Room Sound with the Ones in play.

Seems like there is just no end to what can be learned about this mysterious business of sound reproduction.

Happy Listening,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, charliehatch

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Art, that is interesting. That middle-of-the-room LP can be a bass wrecker, for sure. I've heard it in my system. And that hard floor makes for unwanted reflections and maybe a brighter sound. I'm looking forward to hearing how your Ones sound in your Raleigh room.

Charlie
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Some News From Johnson City Tennessee