file Some News From Johnson City Tennessee

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 1724
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
ArthurDaniels Posted 2 months 4 days ago
Progress report. Sheryl's sister and her husband are in town for the weekend and are helping us pack breakables which we will move ourselves. Also being packed are the many photos, pictures, etc. which have been hanging on our Johnson City wells for many years. They are really helping us move along in the process.

I have moved almost all of my audio and video gear to Raleigh, especially including my GE speakers and my Cambridge Amps. Now listening n Johnson City to a cobbled system comprised of older amps, speakers, etc. Acceptable for the short term but certainly a huge step down from my GE and Cambridge gear. At least, I have access to my entire music file set in both houses.

The contract on our house is in the due diligence phase, with nothing happening at present, except inspections and appraisals. Probably May 1 before these items are settled.

We are on track for a move to Raleigh during week of May 20 through 24. We will choose our mover on April 16 (Tuesday). Meanwhile we will be traveling to and from Raleigh on a weekly basis until the move, in order to transport the items we want to move ourselves.

Looking forward to being settled in Raleigh and to enjoy my GE sear in my new music room.

Happy listening ,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, charliehatch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
ArthurDaniels Posted 1 month 1 week ago
Last edit: 1 month 1 week ago by ArthurDaniels. Reason: spelling info_outline
Update from Johnson City,

We are now two weeks away from our move to Raleigh. We and I have made numerous trips to Raleigh over the last three weeks, moving items we wanted to handle ourselves. We have one more trip to Raleigh this weekend to carry all of Sheryl's original paintings.

I have completed my audio/video setup in our Bonus Room in Raleigh. The room is 15 ft by 27 ft. The entire audio/video array is spread out along one of the 27 ft walls. My PLP is in the center of the room and close to the opposite 27 ft wall. Our video viewing position is slightly off center and along the same opposite wall. My Triton Ones are far left and right, making them about 25 feet apart. My two subs (Klipsch and Paradigm) are left and right, about 18 feet apart. My Triton Sevens are nearer left and right and about 14 feet apart. Between the two Triton Sevens are three shelf units, one containing a 50 inch TV, one containing a good quality Yamaha full-size keyboard and one containing a 40 inch TV. I hope this description is clear. I have an Excel drawing, but this forum does not accept Excel format documents.

My entire audio system is driven by my Cambridge 851A Stereo Amplifier. The Triton Ones are "A" Speakers, the Triton Sevens are "B" Speakers, the Klipsch sub is connected to the Cambridge Left Preamp out and the Paradigm sub is connected to the Cambridge right Preamp out. Yes, the speaker placements violate the concept of the equilateral triangle because we are sitting about 10 or 11 feet away from this array.

However, to me, my audio system has never sounded so alive as in this array and in this room. I have connected the 50 inch TV's optical output to my Cambridge DAC optical input, so we have two channel audio when we watch anything video. But, we also have the entire Triton/subs array playing for all video activity. Of course, I have a dedicated music computer providing access to my entire audio collection, via USB connection to my Cambridge DAC.

It is unlikely that I will have a Surround-Sound System in this location. All sound will be 2.2. But, that is OK with us. My focus is on the music and Sheryl's focus is on the visual presentation when we watch a movie or other video format and she is happy when dialogue is clear.

I am using the 40 inch TV primarily as a visual display for what is happening on the music computer screen so I can wirelessly control my music player from my PLP. The 40 inch TV will also serve as a second TV during college football viewing.

I am really pleased with how well the Triton Ones and Sevens play together in this array, creating a wide sound stage with no center hole. I have the Ones angled toward my PLP and the Sevens facing straight away. The two subs are adjusted to just add bass fill and are probably not really needed, but are fun to use since I have them and have no other application for them. Driving them from the Cambridge Preamp Outputs provides variable signal level as the main volume control is adjusted.

More info than most of you probably wanted to read, but fun for me to present.

Happy Listening to All,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, charliehatch

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 705
charliehatch Posted 1 month 1 week ago
Art, thanks for the update! I would really like to see that drawing of your layout, and I'm curious about where your PLP is relative to the slanted ceilings.

Excel allows you to export (save as) in other formats. Maybe you can find a way to save the drawing as an image file that the forum software will accept.

A picture would be great too.

Glad things are going well for you. You must be getting excited about the final move!

Charlie
2.0 System: Passport SSD USB > Oppo 105D digital out > Blue Jeans 1694A Digital Coax interconnect > Auralic Vega DAC > Audience Au24 SX RCA interconnects > Bel Canto e.One Ref600M monoblocks > Audience Au24 SX banana speaker cables > Triton References
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for the Excel Export Tip. I exported to a PDF, then used Photoshop to convert the PDF to a JPEG. The JPEG is attached.

Happy Viewing,

Art
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: charliehatch

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 705
charliehatch Posted 1 month 1 week ago
Art, thanks for the layout drawing. You have a lot of stuff in there, and it's a big room. Bigger than my living/listening room. I'm about 19 ft x 14.5 ft. My saving grace is the slanted ceiling from 8 ft high at the front of the long dimension to 12 ft at the back.

Keep us posted on what you discover.

Charlie
2.0 System: Passport SSD USB > Oppo 105D digital out > Blue Jeans 1694A Digital Coax interconnect > Auralic Vega DAC > Audience Au24 SX RCA interconnects > Bel Canto e.One Ref600M monoblocks > Audience Au24 SX banana speaker cables > Triton References

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Charlie, the long walls in my room are 4.5 feet high, then slope upward and inward to about 8 feet. The slope angle provides about q 7 foot span of 8-foot high ceiling down the middle of the room. The two dotted lines on the drawing indicate the points where the slope reaches the 8 foot height. As I mentioned in an earlier post, it seems that the sloping walls act as a baffle and seem to enhance the sound.

I forgot to mention that both of my subs are sitting on dollies, while the Ones and Sevens are sitting directly on the carpet - no mounting feet of any kind.

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: charliehatch

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Some News From Johnson City Tennessee