file Some News From Johnson City Tennessee

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 1716
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
ArthurDaniels Posted 8 months 1 week ago
Hi Rick,

The driver for us is to be with our daughter and grandson. In particular, for me time with my grandson is "of the essence". He and I share several common interests and I would very much enjoy being a much larger part of his life for as long as time and circumstances would permit.

We'll see what develops.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
ArthurDaniels Posted 7 months 4 weeks ago
Last edit: 7 months 3 weeks ago by ArthurDaniels. Reason: fix error info_outline
Guys,

I have indeed continued to explore ways to implement my sound system into the Raleigh "Bonus Room". Since my earlier post in this thread, I have looked at several different basic configurations. Because the room is smaller than our present media room and because there must be a place for Sheryl to have her "nest" when we are together for morning coffee and music, I have probably settled upon a configuration which, although perhaps not the best one for music, is probably the best one overall.

In this configuration, I plan to utilize my Triton Ones as "Music Fronts" and my Triton Sevens as "Music Rear Sides", with both speaker sets being driven by my Cambridge 851A Stereo Amp as "A" and "B" speaker sets. Now, brace yourselves for some GE heresy.

I will drive the Triton Ones' LFE inputs from the 851A's Preamp L/R Outputs. I will drive my Paradigm DSP 3400 Sub from the 851A's Record L/R Outputs. The result will be what I call a "4.1 Stereo System".

To experiment with this approach, I have altered my current home setup to match this configuration. I use the Paradigm to augment the bass when listening at low volume levels - otherwise it is turned off.

The heresy obviously stems from driving the Triton Ones' LFE ports with the Preamp Output, resulting in the "Double Bass" spoken about many times on this forum and generally condemned by GE Folks. I have chosen to implement this approach for two reasons: (1) to preserve the Paradigm for low-volume bass augmentation and (2) to provide more bass from my Ones at the moderate volume levels which are the loudest levels I will be able to employ. Use of the Preamp Output to drive these LFE ports provides a variable input level and produces a more balanced sound than just driving them with the Record Output fixed-level line output.

My Audio-Video setup in the Bonus Room will likely be limited to a separate 3.1 approach, using my SuperSat 3Cs as the Fronts, my pair of Polk Bookshelf speakers as Centers and my Klipsch sub. I may come up with a way to add a pair of Surrounds to expand to a 5.1 system, but that remains TBD. Fortunately, neither Sheryl nor I are overly concerned with the AV sound.

More later after some music listening.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 3830
rjohn79395 Posted 7 months 3 weeks ago
Ha, Art!

We just knew you'd be trying SOME new experiment at some point!! :laugh:

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2, HTR 7000 top fronts, Invisa 525 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 7010
Amps: AT525NC 5 channel, Parasound 275 v.2 stereo
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, SONOS Connect
47" Panasonic 3D smart tv
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 705
charliehatch Posted 7 months 3 weeks ago

ArthurDaniels wrote: If we move to Raleigh, I will be about 5 miles from "Audio Advice" (the AV emporium from whom I purchased my Triton Ones).

Art, that is dangerously close!

Good luck on your move. I'm in a fairly small house now, downsizing from here would probably be the cemetery. :)

Charlie
2.0 System: Passport SSD USB > Oppo 105D digital out > Blue Jeans 1694A Digital Coax interconnect > Auralic Vega DAC > Audience Au24 SX RCA interconnects > Bel Canto e.One Ref600M monoblocks > Audience Au24 SX banana speaker cables > Triton References

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
ArthurDaniels Posted 7 months 3 weeks ago
Hi Charlie, Rick, Wayne, et al:

I will admit to having fun with my latest audio experiment. My Triton One Fronts have not moved, but I have relocated my two Triton Sevens to the rear of my current room, near their respective side walls. This arrangement is as close as I can come to approximating their positions in the room in Raleigh.

With the Ones' LFE inputs being driven by the Preamp Outputs from my Cambridge Amp, I have set the LFE volume controls on the Ones to the 9 o'clock position. This setting produces pleasingly deep, but not overwhelming, bass at my version of room volume listening.

The Sevens play very well with the Ones in my setup. The Sevens are slightly less loud than the Ones, so they balance well and add room presence without drawing attention to their positions.

I have moved my Cambridge CXR120 AV Receiver to my separate AV Movie sound system - which is the role it would play in Raleigh. The CXR120's capabilities exceed the capabilities of my AV setup, but so be it.

The move to Raleigh, while likely, is by no means a done deal at this point. There are still important issues to be resolved

That is all I have to report at the present time.

Happy listening to all,

Art.

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
ArthurDaniels Posted 5 months 2 weeks ago
Well, the move we thought we had was not the move we will be making. After much consideration and in-depth looking, we decided against making a formal offer on the house next door to our daughter.

When we were in Raleigh over the weekend prior to Thanksgiving, we decided to expand our search within the North Raleigh area, with our daughter's help and pre-screening of possible houses. On Saturday, November 17, we had arranged with a local realtor to look at four houses in the afternoon. The first two were in our daughter's neighborhood, but were rather quickly rejected upon actual viewing. The third one was much more of a possibility, so we spent a good deal of time exploring it - which cut into our time to look at the last house.

When we got to the last house, we quickly discovered that this house would be very suitable and that it contained a number of features which appealed to us and our living style. On Sunday November 18, we decided to make an offer on the house. On Monday, our offer was countered at a price which was very acceptable to us, so we accepted.

Closing is set for December 28th. So, now we are busy planning how best to handle the finances and the logistics of getting ready to move.

For any of you who might be interested, go on the internet and look up the following: 8909 Brookstone Court, Raleigh NC 27615. Get on one of the multiple list sites and you will find a number of photos of the interior and exterior of the house.

Our best guess is that we will move sometime in the 1st quarter of 2019.

I had a successful surgery November 29 to repair my inguinal hernia. I am well into my second week of recovery. No issues, other than some physical restrictions. Probably can resume golf about December 16 and full activities in early January. No heavy lifting for a while yet.

Nothing new to report on the audio front. Just listening to a lot of music while doing hours of financial analysis and planning.

My Triton Ones LFE inputs are unplugged again. I have my augmented bass coming from my Paradigm sub with external remote level control provided by my Chase Electronics preamp control device.

Happy listening to all,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Some News From Johnson City Tennessee