file Triton Ones Poor QC?

• stereo5's Avatar Offline school
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
    • Thank you received: 198
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
stereo5 Posted 5 years 7 months ago
I took delivery of a new pair of Triton Ones yesterday morning. They were playing less than an hour when the right speaker got muffled and very distorted. Thinking it was the amp, I swapped channels and the same speaker still exhibited poor performance. I sent my dealer an email at 10pm last night and at 6:30 this morning, the salesman showed up at my home with a new replacement tower. The salesman took the defective tower and left and I set the new speaker up. Can you believe this one didn't work?? The sub amp wouldn't turn on.

I sent the salesman another email and an hour later 8AM, he was back at my house with yet another new speaker, this time it works perfectly. So now I have concerns with Golden Ear's QC. Is this a normal occurrence or was this 2 flukes in a row? After reading so many great things about Golden Ear, one has to wonder if there are problems in the China factory. To get 2 bad speakers in a row is just bad.

The dealer, Audio Concepts in Attleboro, Mass was totally professional and went the extra mile twice for me. In this day of declining brick and mortar stores, it is refreshing to to have a dealer so willing to do what it takes to make the customer happy. Although 5 grand isn't chump change either.

These speakers are used for strictly 2 channel audio (no home theater) and are part of a high end system.
Technics SL1200G TT with ZU DL103,, McIntosh c2500 all tube Preamp, Sony HAP-Z1ES Music Server, Esoteric UX-3 CD/SACD Player, McIntosh MR88 FM HD Tuner, McIntosh MC302 300wpc amp, GE Triton Reference Speakers, Shunyata Hydra's Power Conditioners & Power Cords, + more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3326
Moderator Posted 5 years 7 months ago
Sorry to hear you had some issues with your new speakers. But no, we are not. This should be obvious from all the posts to this forum extolling their virtues and discussing the great music and movies GoldenEar owners are enjoying on their speaker systems. :)

I have passed this on to the team for investigation - we currently have no failure/service reports from this dealer, but it is the weekend. The muffled/distorted sound after a few hours makes no sense. Do you mean the woofer section? Because there is no active circuitry to cause distortion in the rest of the speaker. If not in the woofer section, I can only guess you damaged that speaker somehow, because that could not otherwise be the speaker's problem.

Regarding the speaker that wouldn't power up, yes, we've had a couple of these (less than 10) from the first production batch. It is simply that a cable came unplugged in transit and needs to be re-seated. This was a known first production run issue (cable was routed wrong on some speakers causing it to be pulled too tight and occasionally preventing it from being locked in place. In transit they then could wiggle off). Easy fix and the procedure had been corrected at the factory when discovered.

I'm glad your dealer took care of you, that's why we have dealers. If there is anything interesting to report back I will do so here. In the future, if you need support, contact our support email or call the office, as instructed in the owners manual.

• Splash51's Avatar Offline
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
    • Thank you received: 408
Splash51 Posted 5 years 7 months ago
I, is there a serial number range that could be effected? If so it would be nice to know incase anyone experiences this problem. Sounds like an easy fix that can be applied onsite. This would prevent having to transport and unpack another speaker. As anyone who has unboxed these knows it is no simple task.

LOL ... yes, unpacking them is no fun. Again, that's why we have dealers.

There have been so few (and all first production run speakers had been delivered by mid-November and presumably are all installed and working) that it has been handled as it comes up. This is a "DOA" scenario, not something that happens over time. Again, this effected about 2% of the first production run. Most of them were dealers and they just fixed it on site (all you need is a Phillips screwdriver) if they encountered it and contacted tech support (which avoids the exercise of packing and unpacking). I only know of two or three cases where this occurred on units delivered to customers.

• stereo5's Avatar Offline school
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
    • Thank you received: 198
stereo5 Posted 5 years 7 months ago
I didn't damage the first speaker in any way. I was playing them at less than 85 db when the sound got muffled. Perhaps it was the tweeter, not sure. All I know is I packed and unpacked 4 speakers. What a PIA.
Technics SL1200G TT with ZU DL103,, McIntosh c2500 all tube Preamp, Sony HAP-Z1ES Music Server, Esoteric UX-3 CD/SACD Player, McIntosh MR88 FM HD Tuner, McIntosh MC302 300wpc amp, GE Triton Reference Speakers, Shunyata Hydra's Power Conditioners & Power Cords, + more.

It happens, sometimes by accident. But could be a loose wire or something too. Every speaker is 100% QC'd before it leaves the factory. Unfortunately, transit can result in a small number of failures. Sorry you got two, if that's what happened you should definitely stay indoors during a thunderstorm. Glad your dealer was ready to get you right. Hopefully your enjoyment will soon overwhelm any soreness from the process.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back