question-circle My cousins problem...

• Tetrall's Avatar Offline school
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
    • Thank you received: 69
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Tetrall Posted 5 years 5 months ago
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by Tetrall. info_outline
Well I'm really glad I didn't go with our local Polk dealer.

My cousin initially shared with me a set of RSi A9 Polk speakers (with a complete 5.1 system, front bi-amped) on an 3010 Adventage from YAMAHA that he purchased with help from one of our local stores. Which were kinda impressive, except that when he turned them up a bit they suddenly began to sound strange and then the AVR shut itself down.

At the time, I had no idea what had just happened, only that it didn't sound very good to me and that the AVR shutting down didn't seem like a very good sign.

Now I understand better, let me share my conclusions:

1. YAMAHA 3020 max power on 5 channels continuous is 61W with .01 distortion continuous. (sound and vision)
2. According to Polk fans, those speakers are extreme power hogs, and many run them with mono-amps upwards of +200W.
3. In a biamped situation, with two subwoofers he was running 7 channels at least. I am not sure how much wattage is consumed by the bass channel but I assume not much due to bass being internally amplified.

My conclusion is that he doesn't have enough power to properly drive his speakers, this is causing clipping and potential damage to the drivers. He paid around 750 dollars for each speaker and now, he's looking at paying a ton more to be able to properly drive them.

I'm a little upset with this particular shop right now, as they said that biamping this system would be allow the YAMAHA receiver to handle it, however they obviously didn't realize how much loss was created when running the YAMAHA in more than 2 channel, they are able to handle 150W in two channel mode according to S&V and their own specs.

After showing him the Golden Ear Triton 2's performance levels on my Onkyo, he's sold on GE. Sadly, he has no job at this time (though he just got a great offer and will be look pretty here shortly).

Two questions I have for you:

1. When he has the money to get into GE, he's gonna buy... he can't stop raving about them. I'm trying to convince him not to buy right now :angry: My thoughts were to suggest a T2 set up similar to mine, or a set of T5s (if he wants to beat me) and a FF subwoofer. It seems to me that he could sell the A9s for a decent price and then use his AVR to run the Tritons.
2. I've talked with him about turning down the volume on his Polk speakers to keep them out of the stress range until he can get them properly powered... but as you guys know, mono-amps and +200W multi amps are not exactly cheap. Is there any way other than "turn it down" that he could get this under control? He says he can hear the difference Bi-amped and doesn't want to "un-biamp" them.

Anyways, thanks guys!
Current System:

Projector - Sony VPL-HW55ES
AVR - Onkyo TX-NR838
Fronts - Triton 2s
Center - SuperCenterXL
Surrounds - SuperSat 3s

Ask me about espresso, I'm an expert at that... I'm just learning about audio!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3326
Moderator Posted 5 years 5 months ago
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
In an effort to be helpful and make no comment about the Polks or the Yamaha, my simple suggestion is to do a much better job of bass management so all the hard work is being done by the two powered subwoofers you mentioned. Set ALL speakers to SMALL, start with an 80 Hz crossover on all speakers and see what he gets. If still clipping and shutting down, try 100 Hz crossover on all speakers. I'd even try as high as 120 Hz before giving up, and make sure loudness controls, bass controls, double-bass settings, etc, are defeated, so he's not making matters worse accidentally.

Triton Fives and a ForceField sub would be excellent, but I would not go as far as to say that would absolutely be better than a pair of Triton Twos.
:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, Tetrall, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 4367
T Cobe Posted 5 years 5 months ago
Tetrall,

The speaker resistance may also be dropping too low. My guess is that he could be damaging the receiver and speakers which will leave him with no trade in value... If Moderators suggestions don't help, he may want to consider following your suggestions. Good luck with the troubleshooting and brand conversion.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Tetrall's Avatar Offline school
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
    • Thank you received: 69
Tetrall Posted 5 years 5 months ago
To clarify I'm not a Polk/YAMAHA hater. I'm more disappointed with the dealer (before I decided to go with GE I consider this dealer and this setup).

I think it's more of a poor pairing issue than a bad component issue, that's what a reputable dealer is supposed to take care of.
Current System:

Projector - Sony VPL-HW55ES
AVR - Onkyo TX-NR838
Fronts - Triton 2s
Center - SuperCenterXL
Surrounds - SuperSat 3s

Ask me about espresso, I'm an expert at that... I'm just learning about audio!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Problems and Solutions My cousins problem...