file Safe volume for running T2s?

• Tetrall's Avatar Offline school
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
    • Thank you received: 69
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Tetrall Posted 5 years 5 months ago
So a quick question surround volume and amps.

I was wondering how loud you could run a set of T2 on Large with a 130w continuous at 8 ohms?

Kinda a subjective question for sure considering all the variables, and I never listen past about 83-89db peak personally, I find around 82 to be just right which wouldn't stress them at all, but for sake of discussion what's your thoughts?
Current System:

Projector - Sony VPL-HW55ES
AVR - Onkyo TX-NR838
Fronts - Triton 2s
Center - SuperCenterXL
Surrounds - SuperSat 3s

Ask me about espresso, I'm an expert at that... I'm just learning about audio!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 8498
anthem Posted 5 years 5 months ago
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by anthem. info_outline
As long as your ears can stand it and your amp can deliver the goods and sound good (no distortion) crank it up! I've run Emotiva xpa -1's 100-105 db with absolutely no problems, the amp will poop out before the T2's do. Most problems occur because of under powered amps driven at high volumes. When you hear distortion, turn it down 1-2 db. Listening in the 80-90 db range you should have no problems what so ever. If on occasion you feel the need to boogie (90 db plus) by all means crank HER up.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > Decware Zen Torii mk4 > McIntosh MC152 > Emotiva xpa1 Mono's > Anthem Statement P2 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Morrow Audio > Oppo 205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3326
Moderator Posted 5 years 5 months ago
Yes, what anthem said :)

Keep in mind that max volume based on power is a funny thing. Just a little bit louder than the loudest a given amp will play before distorting would require TWICE the power. So, if 100 watts won't do it for you, you really need to be looking at 400 (which is at the top of the speaker's power handling range). You can expect to get close to 110 dB (at 1 meter distance from the speaker) with a 100 w amp (that's really loud, but remember that volume falls off exponentially with distance, so the further away the lesser the volume), and you'd need almost 300 watts to just reach 115 dB.

And of course, most importantly for a speaker capable of revealing the smallest nuance in the signal, not all 100 watt amps are created equal, so go for the best sound, not the most power.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 4367
T Cobe Posted 5 years 5 months ago
My safe listening volume tops out at about 85 dB for my Aons. Any more than that and I may risk having my toys being taken away, being grounded, or potentially experiencing physical harm/neglect! :) Of course this all changes when I'm home alone.

Like Tetrall, I enjoy the volume around 80 dB, average. While very articulate at low volumes, they really sing between 75 and 85 dB! I'm really looking forward to getting the T1s and some good separates. Waiting is painful!!!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Problems and Solutions Safe volume for running T2s?