file Where did this hum come from?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7022
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 4 months ago
This comes from reading this forum:
After reading about other's experience with imaging and room interaction, I tried once again tweaking the location of my T2 towers a little further from the side walls and a bit closer together. AND I decided to turn up my bass on the towers to 11 o'clock as others are running them a little hotter than I was (9:45 previously), wanted to see how the room would tolerate that extra bass?
I am sitting pretty near field and I think this may give me a little better imaging. Not sure yet. A few too many things changed at once. (My center channel amp just took time off from working, so that had to be pulled out of the system and sent for repair.) The power cable fell out of my right T2, so had to plug it back in a few times to get it to stay. Then turned up my left speaker bass dial and got a HUM.
Never had a hum before, please don't start talking ground loops, never had one here before nor in all the years I have been in the hi-fi game, thank God!!!!
But my left speaker now has a LOW down and not that loud HUM, which gets louder if I turn the dial to max and goes down a LOT if I turn the dial down to min, but never goes away until I pull the plug, take the power away.
VERY annoying, to say the least. We can listen to music and watch movies, in fact my wife and daughter did not notice it at all until I pointed it out to them, and even then, they thought it was coming from here and there all over the place, until we finally isolated the problem in the left speaker.
What to do?????
Thanks and God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1809
ArthurDaniels Posted 6 years 4 months ago
Wayne,

A couple of troubleshooting suggestions:

1. Swap your left and right Triton 2 speakers to see if the hum stays with the same speaker, or if the hum stays with the speaker wires.

2. If the hum stays with the wires and not the speaker, check the speaker wires connections at the amplifier. Make sure that the wires are not frayed and make sure that there are no stray strands of wire getting across the amp's speaker terminals. Also check the same conditions at the speaker.

3. After Step 2 is cleared, check the path along the speaker wires route between your amp and the Triton. Look for frayed spots in the speaker wire. If feasible, connect the other speaker wire to the offending speaker to see if the hum disappears.

4. After Step 1, assuming the hum stays with a specific speaker, disconnect all speaker wires and just run the speaker's LF control up and down to see if the hum is being generated by the speaker's LF amp. If the hum is in the amp, move the AC connection to the Triton to another outlet in the room (preferably another outlet being fed by a different AC wire from your fuse/breaker box). If the hum disappears when you connect the Triton's AC to another outlet, then you probably have developed a ground loop. If feasible, you can simply leave the Triton connected to the other outlet. If not feasible, then you can consider connecting your amp to a different outlet.

If the hum seems to be consistent within the speaker and is being generated within the speakers LF amp even with no signal present and regardless of where it is connected to your AC, then, as a final test, disconnect all speaker wires from your other Triton 2 and run the LF control up and down to see if you can hear a similar hum. If you do not hear a hum in your other Triton, try connecting the good Triton to the same AC outlet that the bad Triton is connected to. then repeat the LF control test to see if the hum is introduced into the good Triton.

If your test results indicate a faulty Triton speaker, then contact GE or your dealer about a replacement. Your test results should help them decide about the accuracy of your concerns about the hum.

Hope these suggestions help you clear the problem.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks Art,
I can tell you more now, my GoldenEar Tech guy here already helped me find at least part of the problem. It is the LFE connection causing the hum. I don't know why it should all of a sudden cause trouble, when it has been connected this way for around 6 months, AND on the right T2 and on BOTH the T3s the LFE input is fine.
I got the problem done, well temporarily taken care of, by disconnecting it.
Also I noted that the RCA connection is loose, not really a tight connection. I will try to chase out the problem more when it is light tomorrow.
Thanks,
God Bless,
Wayne

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1809
ArthurDaniels Posted 6 years 4 months ago
Wayne,

If I understand your reply correctly, you have isolated the problem to the LFE input on your Left Triton 2. I assume that you have tried connecting LFE cable normally going to the Right Triton 2, to the Left Triton 2 to eliminate the Left LFE cable as the source of the problem. If not, swap the LFE cables and see if the hum follows the cable.

You also mentioned a loose RCA connection. Did you mean that the RCA LFE connector on the Left Triton 2 is loose? If the connector is loose, you need to have the connector examined by your dealer and repaired as needed.

If the speaker connector is OK, but the cable connector fits loosely, then replace the cable.

Here's one more idea, if needed: Try to identify the frequency of the hum. You can do this by comparing the sound of the hum to different frequencies you generate from a test CD or some other source (tone generators are available for free download on the web).

The idea is to see if the hum frequency matches power line frequency (60 Hz in the US).

Strong advice: Do not sweep the problem under the rug or try to adjust the LF level to a satisfactory compromise. Fix the problem. The problem won't just go away, it may get worse, and you'll never be happy knowing it's there and detracting from your listening pleasure.

If you need more help, post your trials and results and I'll try to provide additional suggestions.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Finally found the problem.
My interconnect cable from my processor to the LFE input on the T2 was broken.
Got that replaced and we are good to go now!
Thanks guys, and happy listening,
God Bless,
Wayne

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Problems and Solutions Where did this hum come from?