file Low output from planar bass radiator

• DaveyMac's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 92
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
DaveyMac Posted 6 years 4 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by DaveyMac. info_outline
I just got two triton fives.

The right one is corner loaded.

I have crossovers at 80, and just playing around I gently pushed through sock and felt how much the planar bass radiator was vibrating on a song. I then did same to other speaker and barely felt anything. I measured spl with meter and both seem the same.. Although neither radiators really move during pink noise.

I switched cables around and ruled out wiring issues.

Basically my right speakers bottom four radiators barely move during bass heavy music. Playing same track, the left speakers radiators are giving off much more vibration.

Both of them sound like they are playing the same from top portion of speakers.

Is it possible the internal wiring of my right speaker is bad or something is faulty? I don't see why there would be such a big difference.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3377
Moderator Posted 6 years 4 months ago
There is no wiring to the passive radiators (and no audible output), the passive radiators are driven my the motion of the bass/midrange drivers and the resulting internal air pressure utilized in the cabinet design. As long as both bass/midrange drivers are working and nothing is leaking air, there's nothing to not work. (I will mention that with an 80Hz crossover, neither speaker's passives will move much as that pretty much rolls off the majority of their output range. Try your experiment with full range playback.)

Also, to compare, the signal would need to be mono, or you would need to use the same channel's speaker wire on each speaker.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 6 years 4 months ago
Moderator,

So, is it possible that something is not sealed properly on one of the speakers? Improperly seated driver or something else?

Additionally, am I reading correctly that there is no audible output from the radiator by design? I'm confused, which is not unusual. I thought the passive radiators radiated low frequencies.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

They react to what the things up top are doing.

Could be that something isn't sealed.

I will switch cables tonight to make sure the AVR isn't to blame. And I'll play full range sub frequencies to make sure there is a difference. I'll report back.

There is no wiring to the passive radiators (and no audible output), the passive radiators are driven my the motion of the bass/midrange drivers and the resulting internal air pressure utilized in the cabinet design. As long as both bass/midrange drivers are working and nothing is leaking air, there's nothing to not work. (I will mention that with an 80Hz crossover, neither speaker's passives will move much as that pretty much rolls off the majority of their output range. Try your experiment with full range playback.)

Also, to compare, the signal would need to be mono, or you would need to use the same channel's speaker wire on each speaker.

I'm very sorry. I should have made certain it was speaker issue. It's not!

My AVR is outputting poor signal on right channel. I'll figure it out with denon.

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1809
ArthurDaniels Posted 6 years 4 months ago
If your Denon has AB front speaker capability, you might consider connecting your T5s to the B Speaker outputs to see if the problem remains. If the B Speakers outputs function normally, then you have isolated the problem to the A speaker outputs.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Problems and Solutions Low output from planar bass radiator