file Amp for Triton 7s and SuperCenter XL?

• wesg92's Avatar Offline school
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
    • Thank you received: 34
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
wesg92 Posted 1 year 11 months ago
Hello,

I'm trying to determine if adding an amp to my system would be beneficial. I'm not looking for volume, just more clarity/dynamics, etc. if possible.

I'm currently running a 7.2 setup with Triton 7s and a SuperCenter XL powered by a Denon x4100. I haven't been super thrilled with the Denon, and will probably replace it with a Marantz or Anthem this winter. I've never had a separate amp, and just wondering if it's worth adding. Researching online is difficult, as everyone has different opinions. Some say it won't matter because the Triton 7s are very efficient, others say they are way underpowered and an amp would help a lot with clarity and dynamics. Maybe the best bet is to buy one from a retailer that has a good return policy and just try it out?

If you're in the "an amp would help" camp, what would you recommend? Should I power just the front 3, or all 7 speakers? I was looking at the Emotiva XPA-3 just as a start.

My room has bass traps and rear panels from GIK Acoustics, so I think adding an amp is about the only thing left I could do to improve the sound quality.

Thanks in advance for your help and input!

Best,
Wes
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 7021
WayneWilmeth Posted 1 year 11 months ago
Hi wesg92. Good questions.
Hard to answer.
The Denon is surely a weak point in your system. And could really use an upgrade. An external amp is one way to go, and might give you what you want. Or just a good Marantz can be an upgrade too.
But let me throw this out for your consideration.
What IF you upgraded your speakers? Move the T 7s to the surround position and get a stronger, bigger, more full range speaker for the fronts Left and Right? Like the TOnes, or T 2+s? Then a good amp and or a Marantz upgrade will make a BIG difference.
Just a thought, but that is where I would start. I have the T 7s, two pairs of them in fact, and honestly, for me, they are not enough speaker, as sweet as they sound on acoustic music.
But it is your ride, happy listening,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Away
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 4102
rjohn79395 Posted 1 year 11 months ago
Last edit: 1 year 11 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Hi, Wesg92

Great suggestions from Wayne.

A question, your system is 7.2, so do you have a sub or subs also? A portion of the dynamic response will be determined by the bass "horsepower" available. If you have subs, are your front T7's set as Small, sub on to give them some bass help? T7's by themselves set as Large, sub off, aren't really designed to provide a lot of bass slam, even with upgraded amp help. Though an amp upgrade may help with clarity, musicality and also dynamics to some extent. (Are your T7's fronts only, or surrounds also?)

As for clarity plus dynamics, as Wayne says, there's lots of ways to go, better receiver with better internal amps and DAC, upgrade fronts to powered Tritons, etc. If you're thinking of replacing your Denon receiver anyway, I think I'd be tempted to try that first, before deciding on the need for an external amp.

Hope this helps.

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2, HTR 7000 top fronts, Invisa 525 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 7010
Amps: AT525NC 5 channel, Parasound 275 v.2 stereo
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i
47" Panasonic 3D smart tv
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth

• Timecop's Avatar Offline
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
    • Thank you received: 270
Timecop Posted 1 year 11 months ago
Last edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Timecop. info_outline
I’d start with demo’ing a quality outboard DAC. That one change will add clarity and quality - and will easily best the DAC inside the denon or marantz. This is likely the least expensive way to improve your existing system - and a local dealer may allow you an in-home trial overnight.
Triton Two front L/R
SuperSat 50c center
Triton Seven surround L/R
SuperSat 50 surround rear L/R
AVR Marantz sr6005
Amp Marantz mm7025
DAC Fostex HP-A8C
Velodyne optimum 10” sealed, back left corner
Velodyne 8” sealed, front right corner

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

WayneWilmeth wrote: Hi wesg92. Good questions.
Hard to answer.
The Denon is surely a weak point in your system. And could really use an upgrade. An external amp is one way to go, and might give you what you want. Or just a good Marantz can be an upgrade too.
But let me throw this out for your consideration.
What IF you upgraded your speakers? Move the T 7s to the surround position and get a stronger, bigger, more full range speaker for the fronts Left and Right? Like the TOnes, or T 2+s? Then a good amp and or a Marantz upgrade will make a BIG difference.
Just a thought, but that is where I would start. I have the T 7s, two pairs of them in fact, and honestly, for me, they are not enough speaker, as sweet as they sound on acoustic music.
But it is your ride, happy listening,
God Bless,
Wayne

Thanks for the reply. Putting the 7s in the rear/surround is not an option. My rears/surrounds are ceiling mounted, as my walkway/path is behind my seating area. With running cables to them, etc. it just isn't feasible. Although, I like your thinking. :)

I hadn't considered upgrading my 7s. Maybe selling them and getting T 3s would be a good option. Thoughts on that? I wouldn't go higher than the 3s due to price and size.

Do you think a Marantz would be noticeably better than the Denon? I know they're made by the same company and when I researched, opinions were mostly the same that they're basically the same AVR.

Also, just to note, I listen to movies and play games. My setup is not used for listening to music.

Thanks again!

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

rjohn79395 wrote: Hi, Wesg92

Great suggestions from Wayne.

A question, your system is 7.2, so do you have a sub or subs also? A portion of the dynamic response will be determined by the bass "horsepower" available. If you have subs, are your front T7's set as Small, sub on to give them some bass help? T7's by themselves set as Large, sub off, aren't really designed to provide a lot of bass slam, even with upgraded amp help. Though an amp upgrade may help with clarity, musicality and also dynamics to some extent. (Are your T7's fronts only, or surrounds also?)

As for clarity plus dynamics, as Wayne says, there's lots of ways to go, better receiver with better internal amps and DAC, upgrade fronts to powered Tritons, etc. If you're thinking of replacing your Denon receiver anyway, I think I'd be tempted to try that first, before deciding on the need for an external amp.

Hope this helps.

Happy listening!

Rick

Yes, I have 2 SVS PB-12 Plus subwoofers and have the speakers set to small.

What AVR would you recommend trying/upgrading to?

Thanks!

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Amp for Triton 7s and SuperCenter XL?