file Searching for the Next Upgrade Step

• drumace's Avatar Offline school
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
    • Thank you received: 31
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
drumace Posted 2 years 1 month ago

Timecop wrote: You mentioned not yet being at your audio nirvana. Can you help us understand what is missing? Does home theater fail to perform, music, or both?

Hi,
For movies, I'm pretty OK with what I have.
For music which is what's most critical for me, I feel there's a remaining layer that needs to be removed to unlock the potential of my speakers. I think the power amps are not the reason for that so I suspect the cause is relayed to the preamp and/or the sources (CD player, turntable, DAC in my AV8801).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Timecop, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 4160
rjohn79395 Posted 2 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by rjohn79395. info_outline

drumace wrote:

Timecop wrote: You mentioned not yet being at your audio nirvana. Can you help us understand what is missing? Does home theater fail to perform, music, or both?

Hi,
For movies, I'm pretty OK with what I have.
For music which is what's most critical for me, I feel there's a remaining layer that needs to be removed to unlock the potential of my speakers. I think the power amps are not the reason for that so I suspect the cause is relayed to the preamp and/or the sources (CD player, turntable, DAC in my AV8801).

Hi, Tal

Another angle to consider is power cords. I have a Marantz SR 7010 with an AKM DAC. Your AV8801 has an AKM DAC. I can change the SQ from the Marantz with aftermarket power cords. And yes, it can sound like another layer has been removed. I've had an AntiCable, Nordost and others on that Marantz, and each changes the SQ some, and each a little differently. AntiCable's have the most clarity, the Nordost gives a great combination of clarity and musicality, and I'll be trying an Audience Forte F3 soon.

There are fans of each type, Anthem loves his AntiCable's and his Audience, Charlie Hatch loves his Nordost, I love AntiCAble's and Nordost, and am awaiting what the Audience does for the Marantz, and have an AntiCable on my Oppo 105 and a Signal Magic on my ATi amp.

Aftermarket power cables do SOMETHING to help DAC's and other gear process sound signals more cleanly, and they have the most effect on sources.

Just another possibilty to consider...

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2, HTR 7000 top fronts, Invisa 525 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 7010
Amps: AT525NC 5 channel, Parasound 275 v.2 stereo
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i
47" Panasonic 3D smart tv
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

• Timecop's Avatar Offline
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
    • Thank you received: 270
Timecop Posted 2 years 1 month ago
I’d definitely try a dedicated DAC. While I like Marantz, I was amazed at the immediate and significant improvement an outboard DAC brought to my system for 2 channel music. This should be something that is easy to test, your local boutique audio shop should be able to let you put a deposit down and ‘borrow’ a DAC for a night or two. I’m partial to Chord Electronics, but there are many choices.
Triton Two front L/R
SuperSat 50c center
Triton Seven surround L/R
SuperSat 50 surround rear L/R
AVR Marantz sr6005
Amp Marantz mm7025
DAC Fostex HP-A8C
Velodyne optimum 10” sealed, back left corner
Velodyne 8” sealed, front right corner
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, drumace

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    • Thank you received: 4160
rjohn79395 Posted 2 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
One other thought: are you running Audyssey with your AV8801?

If so, turningi it off, even doing a factory reset, will make a big difference. Audyssey just plain can't help great GET speakers. Don't know why, but it's "corrections" seem to degrade SQ with GEt's

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2, HTR 7000 top fronts, Invisa 525 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 7010
Amps: AT525NC 5 channel, Parasound 275 v.2 stereo
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i
47" Panasonic 3D smart tv
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• drumace's Avatar Offline school
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
    • Thank you received: 31
drumace Posted 2 years 1 month ago

rjohn79395 wrote: One other thought: are you running Audyssey with your AV8801?

If so, turningi it off, even doing a factory reset, will make a big difference. Audyssey just plain can't help great GET speakers. Don't know why, but it's "corrections" seem to degrade SQ with GEt's

Rick

I'm not using Audyssey at the moment although I was planning to do so because my room is not the ideal listening room.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Searching for the Next Upgrade Step