file Can I really benefit from a separate amp?

• G30's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
G30 Posted 8 years 2 months ago
I'm in a similar dilemma as Jimmy so I'll post on this thread (hope you don't mind ;) )

I'm trying to choose between a NAD T787(120wpc of "Pure Nad power") receiver and the equivalent separates NAD T187 preamp and NAD T977 amp(140wpc of also "Pure Nad power") for my TritonCinema Two system.

I'm wondering if extra money spent on separates (1500 euros extra in comparison with T787 here in the Netherlands) will make any significant difference in sound quality or if it will just make the speakers have little to no distortion at high volumes.

I want to add that most of my listening will be done at normal volumes and only rarely (special occasions) will I listen at high volumes.

Thanks in advance for the feedback and moderator input is appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JimmyTulip's Avatar Offline school
JimmyTulip Posted 8 years 2 months ago
G30,

I went ahead and purchased a "factory renewed" Emotiva XPA-5. They give $100 off and still offer the same 5 year warranty and 30-day evaluation. I just received the Amplifier last night and listened to a little music and one blu-ray movie. My first reaction is that there may be a slight improvement in accuracy and clarity, but more time is needed. This new amp is 200 watts per channel with all channels driven. I listen to movies at high levels most of the time, so given more time I think I will appreciate the extra head room this amplifier provides (110 watts/channel before). Given the identical brand and only 20 watt power difference in the two amps I would just go with the 787 if I had to choose between those two. I would recommend looking at Emotiva, but shipping will be at your cost outside the U.S.

The other way to look at this is that if you plan to keep up with new features and technology such as changing video standards (HDMI, DisplayPort, Video over Ethernet), 4k resolution, and new surround formats you may be better off going separate. Surround Processors/Preamps can be replaced independently. Your amp could last for 15 years.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3366
Moderator Posted 8 years 2 months ago
Good advice from Jimmy. Fortunately the rapid obsolescence of HDMI-equipped products has slowed dramatically, so that's a little less of an issue than it was in the past. The difference in power itself is meaningless, but typically the separates have improved signal path components (audio and/or video) and are generally "better" than their one-chassis counterparts (this is not always the case as we have seen some receivers basically broken in two and called separates, but that's the exception rather than the rule for sure). I haven't read up on the NAD pieces but I would expect the separates are not the exact same components and technology as the receiver. How much difference that will make on the sound quality I can't tell you - but everyone on the forum will tell you the speakers are very revealing and the better the equipment in front of them, the better they will sound.

• G30's Avatar Offline
G30 Posted 8 years 2 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by G30. info_outline
Thank you guys for the fast reply.

I think that in the end I'll go with separates and keep a window open for upgrade(4k is in the pipeline so when it is here to stay I can jump on the band wagon a lot easier)

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series TritonCinema Can I really benefit from a separate amp?